Cattle and dentistry

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirlblues

Reaction score
I attended a conference where they said you could raise milk production by about as much as 10% by doing dentistry on cows but I can't seem to find any information on the web about this. Does anyone know of a site or have information I can get my hands on for this topic?

A vet I worked with back in the 80s put crowns on the teeth of some cows they were invented by a dentist and rancher in the sandhills of Neb back in the 60s
Dr Waddell DVM did around 60 cows back in the 60s and it didn't work out
I doubt this was exactly what you are talking about but It was dentistry for cows :lol:

Angus Cowman":3vj2u6fp said:
A vet I worked with back in the 80s put crowns on the teeth of some cows they were invented by a dentist and rancher in the sandhills of Neb back in the 60s
I doubt this was exactly what you are talking about but It was dentistry for cows :lol:
Wow, that sounds interesting. But the visual I get in my mind (somewhat twisted, I realize) is the dental chair with the girls kicked back with their mouths hanging open.....
I guess it is a interesting idea to explore but how cost effective??How many more years would it give a cow? Etc.

mnmtranching":34lsm68n said:
You can be pretty sure it's somebody selling products and services.

:lol2: I love those claims people make when they say "could" or "up to". There is a lot of wiggle room when someone says, "it could raise you production up to 10%". That's why I don't feel any shame or remorse when I sell a straw of Imbalancer seman for $300 a straw cause everyone knows that introducing these genetics in your herd could raise your weaning weights up to 50%. So what will it be - straws or floss?

CKC1586":1lpusllt said:
Angus Cowman":1lpusllt said:
Wow, that sounds interesting. But the visual I get in my mind (somewhat twisted, I realize) is the dental chair with the girls kicked back with their mouths hanging open.....
I guess it is a interesting idea to explore but how cost effective??How many more years would it give a cow? Etc.
The guy who invented it claims it would add 3 -5 yrs but on the test patients Dr Waddell did over 50% didn't last a yr and alot of times the tooth the crown was attached to had also became lose or had fallen out

Angus Cowman":6m8n7k1s said:
CKC1586":6m8n7k1s said:
Angus Cowman":6m8n7k1s said:
The guy who invented it claims it would add 3 -5 yrs but on the test patients Dr Waddell did over 50% didn't last a yr and alot of times the tooth the crown was attached to had also became lose or had fallen out

Hum, choking hazzard!?
Guess sometimes folks figure they gotta try something, cuz it might work.... For every bad idea there is a good one?

Latest posts