Cattle aborting, one died

Help Support CattleToday:

Honiedew

Reaction score
We recently vaccinated our cows. They were acting really sick and a few of them couldn't even get up. They would try but just couldn't stand on their legs. My Dad used Scour Bos 9 on them, and also Vitamin A. He said he used the Bos 9 in the Spring and he wasn't supposed to used it again, but they were out of the Bos 4 and he didn't think it would hurt. He has never used Vitamin A on them before, so he thought that might be causing it as well. We found a cow dead this morning. Could one of these things have caused them to abort, and have one so far die. Or might it be something else. If so is there a way to counteract it?

There are half a dozen things that can cause cattle to abort - Vitamin a deficiency, brucellosis, I believe lepto will along with a couple of other STD's, injury, nature, etc. I would call the vet and find out what the problem is if it were my herd.

If that Bos 9 is a live vaccine, it will have them abort.

CALL THE VET. Have the cow and/or calf posted. Scour Bos has never caused one of my cows to abort. If it is Lepto, you can revaccinate for that. But you will have to have a vet pull blood from a cow or post the cow, the lepto doesn't show up on a calf posting. I know lepto causes late term abortions, but so do a few others...red nose, maybe BVD (can't remember for sure). Also moldy feed. Hope you get to the cause of the problem soon. Good luck!

What part of Montans are you located?
We cleared a pasture for bred cows of all pine saplings this summer...and have to trim the trees when the snow bends them over.
Pine needle abortion acts in a couple of days...just a thought.
DMc

scour Bos 9 and 4 are both to be given to bred cows, so that should never cause an abortion. There has been a lot of lepto around here. It is carried by rats and deer also. So rats hanging out in the silage pile can be a danger to bred cows. A dairy 2 miles away just found out they have lepto after losing 13 calves. I am in a highly deer populated area. But they also cleaned up their moldy edges on their silage pile too I see, so that may have been part of it. I would definitely call a vet and have the next one posted. That $50 bill could save alot of animals in the long run.

joe":2iujxdu0 said:
scour Bos 9 and 4 are both to be given to bred cows, so that should never cause an abortion. There has been a lot of lepto around here. It is carried by rats and deer also. So rats hanging out in the silage pile can be a danger to bred cows. A dairy 2 miles away just found out they have lepto after losing 13 calves. I am in a highly deer populated area. But they also cleaned up their moldy edges on their silage pile too I see, so that may have been part of it. I would definitely call a vet and have the next one posted. That $50 bill could save alot of animals in the long run.

Lepto can also be caused by chickens....and chicken litter used to fertilize pastures. ;-)

Sorry about your problems.

But it sounds like a train wreck is about to happen. Please contact a vet.

Vacinate today, and START to get some protection in 10-15 days for most vacines. In the mean time you are dealing with acutely sick cattle, and once sick, a vacine is not going to help cure them IMO.

The sick cows need to be TREATED, and the cattle that are not yet sick should be vacinated, and watched for symptoms of what ever your vet finds if causing this illness, and then TREATED if needed.

Good Luck! :cboy:

mitchwi":750n5edg said:
If that Bos 9 is a live vaccine, it will have them abort.

According to the manufacturer's website it's safe for pregnant animals, but the website does say a follow up in 4 weeks with Bos 4, not Bos 9. I'm not familiar with this particular vaccine so I don't know if that could have anything to do with the situation or not. Again, a call to the vet is in order, but that is just my thought.

I know everyone's all ready said it but you do need to call a vet. When you have a bunch of cows that can't get up and are really sick it's time to get help. When one dies and abortions start happening you really need to get help. I wish you luck with it all and hope the vet can help your animals. Keep us posted.

The Scour Bos 9 and 4 are both killed vaccines to be given to bred cows to prevent scours caused by Rotavirus and corona virus and e-coli. It passes thru the milk so colostrum is important to give the calves the protection.

Latest posts