catlle market

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I was thinking about getting into the cattle market with about 40 head of brangus heffers and perhaps one bull. I have 300 acres in Texas, and was wondering what has been the past and predicted future performance of the cattle industry as a whole and even the current and future market conditions. Is now a good time to gain entry into this market, or is the market flooded with supply and not enough demand?
<br>
<br><hr size=7 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Mike, here are several other livestock related sites that have had articles about the future of the cattle business:<p>www.drovers.com used to be Drovers Journal, now it's just Drovers. They had a good article this month about the changes they see in the future of the livestock industry.<p>www.hpj.com is the High Plains Journal. If you'll look in the news articles and search for livestock industry there's lots of info there.<p>www.angus.org. Check out the Angus Journal. They have talked with commercial and purebred producers, feeders, etc. and run several articles the last few months regarding the future of the industry. <p>The predictions I see are that the we will still have too many pounds of beef in the supply chain through the first quarter of 1999, but second quarter prices should start to pick up. As far as demand goes, pounds of beef consumed continues to fall, while CAB consumption is up over 20% for the last year. That tells me consumers are willing to buy beef IF they feel they are getting a good product. And if we don't start producing more high quality grade beef, we will continue to lose market share. I'd be interested in what it tells the rest of you?<p>
<br>

[email protected]

<br>: Mike, here are several other livestock related sites that have had articles about the future of the cattle business:<p>: http://www.drovers.com used to be Drovers Journal, now it's just Drovers. They had a good article this month about the changes they see in the future of the livestock industry.<p>: http://www.hpj.com is the High Plains Journal. If you'll look in the news articles and search for livestock industry there's lots of info there.<p>: http://www.angus.org. Check out the Angus Journal. They have talked with commercial and purebred producers, feeders, etc. and run several articles the last few months regarding the future of the industry. <p>: The predictions I see are that the we will still have too many pounds of beef in the supply chain through the first quarter of 1999, but second quarter prices should start to pick up. As far as demand goes, pounds of beef consumed continues to fall, while CAB consumption is up over 20% for the last year. That tells me consumers are willing to buy beef IF they feel they are getting a good product. And if we don't start producing more high quality grade beef, we will continue to lose market share. I'd be interested in what it tells the rest of you?<p>
<br>