CATFISH

Help Support CattleToday:

The muddy taste is because they weren't cleaned right. Properly cleaned catfish will be snow white and will not taste muddy at all. I've heard of soaking it in milk or buttermilk, but haven't tried it myself because I don't cook it if it's not cleaned right.

bullred":noszoqan said:
The muddy taste is because they weren't cleaned right. Properly cleaned catfish will be snow white and will not taste muddy at all. I've heard of soaking it in milk or buttermilk, but haven't tried it myself because I don't cook it if it's not cleaned right.

Must be something else. These are commercial fillets we bought from Catfish King. Had the same problem with fillets we bought from Sam's.

You can soak them in milk for a little while. too long will casue them to break up. I roll mine in mustard/Tobasco sauce and them batter. not to thick or you will taste mustard.

Scotty

bullred":3tubt1qh said:

Yep your right, also if you are catching out of your own pond or lake lime it. I really don't like them old big catfish I like about 5 pounds, I got some I dipped for fleas and got the speck back ticks off em earlier that there picture weighed 7 pounds.

norriscathy":2a9kgxkz said:
bullred":2a9kgxkz said:

Must be something else. These are commercial fillets we bought from Catfish King. Had the same problem with fillets we bought from Sam's.

Norriscathy,

Some of the worst catfish I ever ate in my life was at a Catfish King Restaurant. They don't take the time to clean them well, trust me. I learned about catfish from an old man that ran trot lines and sold catfish filets for a living. Just because it looks good and white doesn't mean it's clean. They have to be cleaned quickly and thoroughly to prevent the muddy taste from permiating the meat.

The "muddy" taste in pond raised catfish is from blue-green algae. All reputable processing plants taste samples of your fish before they buy them. If it has any trace of muddy taste they will not buy them and you have to treat the pond with copper to kill the algae and resample after a couple of weeks.

A few small processors will buy off-flavor fish at a discount and some of the imported Vietnamese fish that are grown in the Mekong River in cages are off flavor. Sam's and Wal-Mart sell the Vietnamese fish.

Use a recipe for Blackened Redfish and it will hide the muddy taste.

Step one, to soak it in about a bottle of whisky.

Step two, Throw the fish away and drink the whisky. Gets the muddy right out.

denoginnizer":2e56nkp0 said:
Step one, to soak it in about a bottle of whisky.

Step two, Throw the fish away and drink the whisky. Gets the muddy right out.

I like your way of thinking. Can you eat french fries and hush puppies with that?

Latest posts