Catching Calves Yeehaw!

Help Support CattleToday:

LoveMoo11

Reaction score
I'm going home this weekend to castrate a couple of calves. We don't have a chute or anything set up because the chute happens to be buried under a few feet of snow. These calves are fairly small, but still, I'm guessing they are going to be quite wiggly. I'm going to have my Dad to help me probably...so what's the best way to go about doing this? I wouldn't normally do it this weakly equipped but if I don't do it its not gonna get done and I want some good meat in the freezer this fall. Any suggestions?
Oh yeah I am using an elastrator so it should be pretty quick.

Runthem into a corner and have him tail them so they stand up straight and count to two.

LoveMoo11":1j2mrxrc said:
I'm going home this weekend to castrate a couple of calves. We don't have a chute or anything set up because the chute happens to be buried under a few feet of snow. These calves are fairly small, but still, I'm guessing they are going to be quite wiggly. I'm going to have my Dad to help me probably...so what's the best way to go about doing this? I wouldn't normally do it this weakly equipped but if I don't do it its not gonna get done and I want some good meat in the freezer this fall. Any suggestions?
Oh yeah I am using an elastrator so it should be pretty quick.

I rope em. Drag em to a corner. Have my assistant that weighs 300(son) put his knee in its guts and press up against corner posts. Works like a dream.

Love Moo how big will they be ,weight and ages..

I have some experience with it without handling facilities, so if you tell me the weights I will tell you what worked best for me..

One is about a month old and the other is 7 months old but he is a dwarf and is smaller than the newborn. I know it is late to be doing him but like I said he's about the size of the little one and he isn't developed at all. Thanks for the tips.

They are still small so due exactly like Dun said. Get you Dad to hold the in a corner with their but facing you and their legs spread apart ,you grab a hold place the band and count to two voila done. I have done them this way by myself at that age so it is very simple it just takes a little planning and dumb luck :lol: ..

Good luck, hope all goes well for you and the calves. :)

Thanks HD, hope it goes well but either way I don't think the calves will feel the same way :? :lol: