Catching and Spreading Footrot

Help Support CattleToday:

heidi_m

Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone know about wether horses can catch footfot from riding over grounds that have it, then transferring it cows.
e.g. if i rode my horse on a proprety when there was footrot a few months back, then came home to our own property, would our dairy cattle be able to catch it???
Thanks

1wlimo":30tjs3dq said:

AND:
Regardless of the source once loss of skin integrity occurs, bacteria gain entrance into subcutaneous tissues and begin rapid multiplication and production of toxins that stimulate further continued bacterial multiplication and penetration of infection into the deeper structures of the foot.

A lot of treatments but a good mineral containing a heavy dose of zinc in the form of amino acid complexes improve hoof hardness and hoof health making cattle less likely to have foot problems to begin with.

Having horses with footrot increases concentrations available for the spread.
So yes you should clean it up

Dipping feet(yours,animals) in clorox water will kill it on the surface- and is done real commonly around sheep herds as they are a mess if footrot gets started.
Horses and cattle usually need some physical reason for foot rot to be feared.

It won't hurt anything if it makes you feel better to obsess about slim chances though. Dip the feet.

Latest posts