Catching a Crazy Bull and Hauling

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7":27b8jtle said:
Choke one down and it takes the fight out of them, but you better have someone else to stretch him out between you or he'll be in your lap :D

I see a lot of people with horses that like to get out there and push cattle around like they know what they are doing. They think because they are on that horse they are safe. :shock:

I have had cows take a good horse out from under me.....

believe you me that will mess with a horses mind....

and can put you on foot one on one with a mad cow....

then you can discover how tough you really are .......or how fast....

I have never been fast...but tough enough to have won a few and lost a few and still breathing.

Had a yearling heifer over on us the second time in about 3 months. Wild, fence jumper, can't drive her. I caught her the first time by baiting her in the lot with the two yr olds. This time she was up in with the cows, too far from the barn without tolling all old cow pairs down to the barn.
I eased through the cows to cut her out, on foot, and she'd circle around and back in the middle of them. I did that about three times, before cows started getting itchy. I went to my neighbor standing there, after sending a few choice words to the heifer, and said, "What you want for her?". He said I won't sell her to you. My heart sank. He said, "But I want to ask you something". So, naturally I'm thinking ok here we go...He said,"Would you care to just drop here where she is? And what do you want her for?" I told him, "To do the same thing you are going to do!" So don't underestimate you neighbors!!
I just handed him the rifle and told him that I wasn't shooting her if I didn't own her. He gladly went about business. He said he already had her sold for grass fed ground.

I'd try the tranq gun before the 30-30. A couple of darts in the butt will turn most hell-raisers into lambs. I have seen too much tranq stop their hearts though..

I've found that a 22LR is about the best caliber to drop one too. Use a solid round, not a hollow point

Had a 600lb heifer that just went ape x#$% crazy on us. Tore up gates and fences and I don't doubt she'd have taken a man on if she'd let them get close enough.

Last time she got out, I got a pole syringe and tranquilizer from the vet. Three of us on 4-wheelers got her out in a flat bean field that had been harvested. We harassed her back and forth for a bit, then I got a buddy on the back of my quad with the syringe and I got after her hard while the others stood by to keep her out of the woods and off the road. I finally got her into full panic mode where all she wanted to do was run. Came up on her and hit her with the syringe like she was in a chute.

Everybody circled her until she went down and then we pulled the trailer right up to her and just manhandled her into the trailer.

I told them at the sale barn that she had a really bad attitude and she chased guy over a gate even after I'd warned them.

wacocowboy":19sn7gwq said:
I seen a guy run a bull on a 4wheeler till the bull got to tired to fight being loaded.

I've seen a bull turn over a pickup truck.
I sure would not take one on riding a four wheeler.

pdfangus":3szt1xw9 said:
wacocowboy":3szt1xw9 said:
I seen a guy run a bull on a 4wheeler till the bull got to tired to fight being loaded.

:nod: People do it all the time but these cattle can chunk those things like a toy if they want to.

pdfangus":le48992n said:
wacocowboy":le48992n said:

NO joke.... :shock:

TexasBred":sm9obbe9 said:
pdfangus":sm9obbe9 said:
wacocowboy":sm9obbe9 said:

NO joke.... :shock:

this was back in the 50's when I was a kid and pick up trucks were not what they are today....old half ton with running boards and the bull was a big un and plenty mad....
he hit it low on the drivers door and turned it on its side.
I didn't see the rest as my dad got me safely out of there and then went back and helped the guy deal with the bull....I don't recall everything but they did not kill him that day.

I think I have related that when I was another mans cowboy we had two bulls get to fighting and one was well over a ton...meybe 2200 lbs and the other was younger and meybe 1600 lb.

there were four or five of us trying to break em up cause both had some real value...they were together because of a miscommunication in yelling to one another.

Big bull got the smaller bull turned and got his head under his heart girth and threw him into the air .....1600 lb bull and we were all looking up at him in the air. He came down on his side and the ground shook and the big bull jumped on him again but we were able to drive him off that time...I drove the big bull around to the needed pen and was amazed when I came back to see the young bull up and walking around growling for another round....

people genuinely do not understand the power that exists in those animals....

I had an older neighbor who had a pet bull....I cautioned him repeatedly that bulls were not good pets....then one day the bull decided it would be fun to push his tractor....actually the bull wanted him to stop and feed him...it was an older Massey Ferguson 2 wheel drive tractor I am guessing about 35 -40 hp. The bull stopped it and pushed it backward with the rear wheels spinning. He sold his pet bull a short while later.

I have a steer that I am raising for beef with some yearling heifers, 942 lbs when I weighed them yesterday....The steer is the quietest critter in a quiet group....he wants to be a pet, not mean, no kick, chow hound....but just yesterday he wanted to rub his head on me and nearly pushed me through a gate...fortunately it was not fastened and I had room to turn and kick him in the nose.

Big bull got the smaller bull turned and got his head under his heart girth and threw him into the air .....1600 lb bull and we were all looking up at him in the air. He came down on his side and the ground shook and the big bull jumped on him again but we were able to drive him off that time...I drove the big bull around to the needed pen and was amazed when I came back to see the young bull up and walking around growling for another round....

Saw this exact same thing happen when I was much younger. Owner had a pretty big full blood gray brahman bull that was fully mature and had been in the pasture with the cows for years. He went and bought him a beautiful young Hereford bull that was probably 14-1500 lbs. Anyway they got into a skirmish that went on for a few minutes and like you said, next thing I knew that brahman threw that Hereford completely over his back and he landed like a 1600 lb. cow patty...needless to say he walked off limping. Luckily the brahman didn't push the issue. Told the owner and that afternoon he hauled the brahman to another place.....funny thing, that old brahman would stand all day long with his head over the fence and let you rub all over his head and big ears. Just a big old pet.

I have a bull story. We were heading out of camp on the Carlton ranch one morning, and as I rounded the corner there was a guy walking. He said he was running late and was driving down the grade through the bull pasture at about 40 mph, and hit a big olé horned Hereford bull laying down. The man's truck was totaled and he wanted to pay for the bull. I called my uncle and explained what had happened and asked him what he wanted me to do. He said go find the bull and see if he's dead. We found the truck but to this day have no idea which bull that man hit.

True Grit Farms":51yyzb9n said:
I have a bull story. We were heading out of camp on the Carlton ranch one morning, and as I rounded the corner there was a guy walking. He said he was running late and was driving down the grade through the bull pasture at about 40 mph, and hit a big olé horned Hereford bull laying down. The man's truck was totaled and he wanted to pay for the bull. I called my uncle and explained what had happened and asked him what he wanted me to do. He said go find the bull and see if he's dead. We found the truck but to this day have no idea which bull that man hit.
Probably did little more than wake him up.

pdfangus":8jz6ywn0 said:

I have never seen the truck go completely over myself but I have seen wheels off of the ground. The truck had some serious damage. Sure wish I had that on video. The look on their faces was priceless. What were they thinking?

pdfangus":3ni2g4ei said:
wacocowboy":3ni2g4ei said:

I seen a guy who used an old army jeep to herd cattle and take cubes out to them. One day he was feeding and I guess the bull wanted the cubes faster that Hereford bull flipped that jeep then went around and started ripping bags open. He said that wasn't the first time that happened. Got a tractor and flipped the jeep back over and it fired up like nothing happened. Them old army jeeps are tough I always wanted one.

If they decide to take me and my 4 wheeler on I know to get out of their way safe place is behind them.

wacocowboy":12rc0s04 said:
pdfangus":12rc0s04 said:
wacocowboy":12rc0s04 said:

I seen a guy who used an old army jeep to herd cattle and take cubes out to them. One day he was feeding and I guess the bull wanted the cubes faster that Hereford bull flipped that jeep then went around and started ripping bags open. He said that wasn't the first time that happened. Got a tractor and flipped the jeep back over and it fired up like nothing happened. Them old army jeeps are tough I always wanted one.

If they decide to take me and my 4 wheeler on I know to get out of their way safe place is behind them.
I'd go straight to the house, get my 30-06 and put a 180 gr right between his eyes.

Cross-7":2ikf8urt said:
Choke one down and it takes the fight out of them, but you better have someone else to stretch him out between you or he'll be in your lap :D
You are right about that.
I have seen them down from exhaustion and you would have thought they were near dead, and still get up like they just had a shot of adrenalin and ready to eat you up.
Don't ever think they are too exhausted to hurt you.

TexasBred":1iom1zr9 said:
wacocowboy":1iom1zr9 said:
pdfangus":1iom1zr9 said:

I'd go straight to the house, get my 30-06 and put a 180 gr right between his eyes.

Shoot that guy loved that bull. I swear there were tears pouring down his cheek when he buried that old bull. When that bull couldn't keep the cows bred he put him in a pen to live in retirement that's where he died of old age. Probably more pictures of that bull around his house than of his wife or kids.

Latest posts