Cat walk closed at sale barn.

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jalopy":1cpp6m7u said:
Whoa there pard. How in blue blazes did you jump from sale barns to bulls fighting in your pasture?
Bulls fight in sale barn pens as well as pastures cows fight in sale barn pens as well as pastures. Seems you are very niave when it comes to the cattle industry.

What about the bull calve that had a clean break of the right rear leg in the cannon area while the roundup was going on.

Should I kill him on the spot and bury him?
Take him to the kill plant?
Kill him and process him myself?

Note..... he could still walk.

You ever seen a three legged dog that seemed to be happy to be here?

somn":3i1sv4c2 said:
Brandonm22":3i1sv4c2 said:
Somn WAS right. Downer animals WERE a substantial part of the industry. USDA has banned downer cows for human consumption I believe that it is (or soon will be) illegal to do anything with a downer but kill it.
What do you meen I WAS right that they WERE a part of the industry they ARE still as much a part of the industry today as they ever have been. What other option do we currently have for downer cattle? We have not had any other option for downer cattle since 2004 when processing them for human consumption was banned. They are killed for use in MBM, whole cuts in companion foods, the list goes on and on with the exception of human consumption. I'm sure you are aware of this but it isn't just downer cattle that are killed those tasty t-bones we all love to grill they came from cattle that also got killed.

If you BOTHERED to read the link you would see that California is talking about making it CRIMINAL to transport, handle, or process a downer......even if it is going to the dog food plant. If you believe that THAT is not coming down the pike in the near future for the whole industry you are living in some sort of wierd surreal dream world. And I have no personal issues with butchering a broke leg cow for fajita meat, soup, or dog food. I have a strong stomach. It don't bother me in the slightest. It don't look good on TV though. The public can't tell the difference between a bull and a cow (I have seen this first hand and I still can't explain it). Anything that might upset 5% of them when it is put on TV is going to lead to letters Congress and reactionary legislation. I would hope that all stockyards, farms, and feedlots would finally figure this out and would refrain from transporting and selling downers; but some folks simply will not accept change.

Wewild I think we would just have to go ahead and eat the poor little fellar. We had a calf we had raised to butcher once that got his neck pinched, sister inlaw saw it happen. The calf was down could not or would not get up, he would have been a downer. We loaded him up off to the butcher shop good eating. Never give PETA an inch>

Red Bull Breeder":rss165vw said:
Wewild I think we would just have to go ahead and eat the poor little fellar. We had a calf we had raised to butcher once that got his neck pinched, sister inlaw saw it happen. The calf was down could not or would not get up, he would have been a downer. We loaded him up off to the butcher shop good eating. Never give PETA an inch>

I'd say that's right.

Brandonm22":2g9lpe9t said:
I would hope that all stockyards, farms, and feedlots would finally figure this out and would refrain from transporting and selling downers; but some folks simply will not accept change.
I have watched thousands upon thousands of cattle sold in my lifetime I have seen just about every thing you could imagine run thru the ring and sold however there is one thing I have never seen sold thru a livestock auction and that is a downer. Now another thing I have never seen is a downer loaded onto a semi trailer. Seen more than 1 downer come off a trailer but never on. I can't imagine a trucker knowingly letting a rancher drag a downer on knowing he the trucker will be the one dragging the downer off and more than likely having a claim against his cargo ins but it must happen you have said so.

Susie David see what ya got started. :lol: :lol: :lol:
My nickel say's this thread will get stopped because some just wont let it lay. :nod: :nod:

Call

somn":1kmczuhc said:
Brandonm22":1kmczuhc said:
I would hope that all stockyards, farms, and feedlots would finally figure this out and would refrain from transporting and selling downers; but some folks simply will not accept change.
I have watched thousands upon thousands of cattle sold in my lifetime I have seen just about every thing you could imagine run thru the ring and sold however there is one thing I have never seen sold thru a livestock auction and that is a downer. Now another thing I have never seen is a downer loaded onto a semi trailer. Seen more than 1 downer come off a trailer but never on. I can't imagine a trucker knowingly letting a rancher drag a downer on knowing he the trucker will be the one dragging the downer off and more than likely having a claim against his cargo ins but it must happen you have said so.

So are you saying that you agree with me and are willing to support an industry wide voluntarly ban of selling downers (and I never said that they arrived at the stockyard or the feedlot as a downer) even for dogfood???

somn":l4xpv9mo said:
mnmtranching":l4xpv9mo said:
Jalopy does have a good point
It doesn't surprise me that you also think any business that handles downer cattle should be in trouble. Reality is something you stuggle with.

Mr somn, The only thing we can conclude of this, is, You deal with a lot of downers at your outfit.
Most of us just don't have the experience you have.

Well, it would appear that the concensus is that downer animals should be just left alone, wherever they happen to be. I suppose that would work. Surely peta could not find anything to complain about in that. But, there's a glitch---suppose a cow or other animal turns into a downer in your driveway or right in front of a gate? You're right! Absolutely not a problem to relocate a gate or redo a driveway 10 or 20 feet over so as to not disturb the animal as it suffers and dies.

What a load of bull droppin's. Somebody has to deal with them if only to end their suffering. And then, chances are they will need to be moved. I sure ain't gonna leave a cow to rot away in my back yard.

What would you peta-ites recommend be done?

There, that ought to get 'er locked.............. :tiphat:

Jim62":3hlgv0b7 said:
I am not sure to whom you are refering. The point is being made, by me at least, that down animals should not go through a sale, they should not be loaded on a trailor. That is how this started. I don't know how ANY reasonable person could take issue with that. If they are down, on you farm, shoot them, don't ship them. If that makes me a PETA advocate, then I guess that makes me a PETA advocate. As far as I am concerned, when you are in this business, sometimes you take the bite ~ thats life. And death.

I will go a step farther and say. Any animal that is in such poor shape that it might have trouble going through a sale should not. It is the owners responsibility to NOT try to salvage a buck, work the animal back to health or euthanize it at the farm.. I'm not talking about accidents that happen to normal animals, things happen. That's an insurance thing.

Jim62":35rcubs7 said:
Well, it would appear that the concensus is that downer animals should be just left alone, wherever they happen to be. I suppose that would work. Surely peta could not find anything to complain about in that. But, there's a glitch---suppose a cow or other animal turns into a downer in your driveway or right in front of a gate? You're right! Absolutely not a problem to relocate a gate or redo a driveway 10 or 20 feet over so as to not disturb the animal as it suffers and dies.

What a load of bull droppin's. Somebody has to deal with them if only to end their suffering. And then, chances are they will need to be moved. I sure ain't gonna leave a cow to rot away in my back yard.

You are having reading comprehension problems. Nobody is saying don't try to treat a downer. I have a set of hook lifts myself and I have more experience with them than I wish I had. Nobody is saying to shoot one where twenty neighbors can see you and call 911. Nobody is even saying you can't drag one 200 yards with your tractor.....if you can't come up with a better plan (do it after dark where they can't make a movie out of it). All we are saying is if it takes you and two stoudt Mexican lads to move her 20 feet without falling down.....just don't load her in a trailer and dump her in the stockyard in hopes that she can limp well enough for the yard to give you $40. IF one goes down in a trailer don't drive up to the dog food plant and turn your problem into their problem. We just lost an entire packing plant in California FOREVER because a handful of ranchers, feedlots, and stockyards sent some to the packing plant that shouldn't have gone there and because some truck drivers unloaded some they should never have unloaded and because the people at the plant didn't have the authority or the sense to turn them down or just kill them in their pen (and I am still not convinced anything that they did was illegal at the time) and somebody made a movie about it.

I don't no of asale barn around here that would drag a downer cow off of a trailer. If there is a rendering plant close by shoot her then take her to them. My guess on the Cailf. plant is most of the Holstein cow we saw there came directly from the dairy, and were never put threw either a sale barn or feed lot. We can never feed people beef and have PETA's blessing.

angie":10pk0taq said:
Wewild":10pk0taq said:
That may be the crux of the problem.
It is not the crux of the problem WW ~ I would say it is the consequence.

Maybe so.

I am sure your view is more prevalent than mine today.

I will miss the Greatest Generation as they pass. Did many of them have TV to sway their opinion?
Wewild":10pk0taq said:
Brandonm22":10pk0taq said:
and somebody made a movie about it.

That may be the crux of the problem.

Check this out........

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316624,00.html

I am pretty sure I used to work on this farm when/if it was a Carroll's Foods farm (it is a farm and NOT a slaughter plant). Carroll's had two 2400 sow units in Garland and I worked both of them. Now we were better trained, a whole lot better dressed, and a lot more coherent in our verbal communications than these people appear to be.

The piece of cr*p idiot who admitted he abused the animals probably should be locked up (I would fire him and what ever morons thought he could handle a supervisorial capacity); but the girl who is castrating pigs isn't doing anything wrong that I can see in that clip. IF they showed the pigs 30 seconds after you left the litter alone you would see them going back about their business like before.

The folks who are using gate rods to move spraddle legged sows out of the barns are using very poor technique. I preferred lifting them up by the tail and slowly walking them out of the barn.....where possible.....or a hot shot where that won't work or dragging with a snout snare (my back still is not right from moving a 600++ lb corpse out of farrowing crate like that back in 1995)and we also had a sled we could winch one up on and roll them out of there(that arrived after my back injury). BUT I will admit having seen the gate rod used like that (I don't have THAT much patience). All they are doing is moving cripples out of the barn so they can be shot outside (we never shot anything IN the barn as a miss could ricochet off the steel bars or the concrete and hurt people or animals). None of these cripples ever left the farm(alive). They went DEAD to the rendering plant. The captive bolt stunning hammer is actually an upgrade....all I ever had was a .22 rifle, a sledge, and/or a sticking knife (thank God there is no movie).

Now I MIGHT be the person who came up with writing "KILL" on the back of the cripples with the paint stick. I did it reasonably often, though I might have stolen the idea somewhere. This was to identify which cull or two in the cull pen wasn't sound enough to get loaded on a double decker trailer rig for their last ride the next day. I also wrote a green KEEP sign on them for those culls who weren't past their withdrawal times. You never knew when the cull truck would show up, so you didn't know who on the farm would load the cull truck and you didn't want those to get turned out and then go down on the ramp or load one who was pumped full of antibiotics. I don't see this as animal abuse though if you had more than 3 or 4 cripples a month (on a 2400 sow farm) you have got health, management, or selection problems (and it looks like there is SOME problem there). HOWEVER the PETA freaks got a covert agent in there on the payroll, made a movie, and some workers got fired (and may) get prosecuted over it (I would quit if I hadn't done that 11 years ago). Maybe I am missing it, but I don't actually SEE a firing offense actually being committed in that clip much less anything criminal. However the public doesn't know WHAT they are watching, have no frame of reference, and see abuse because somebody tells them this is abuse. I don't have any answers for how the industry deals with heavily edited tapes making national news OTHER than to assume we are being watched 24/7 365 days out of the year and to act accordingly.

Brandonm22":2zehz3m8 said:
So are you saying that you agree with me and are willing to support an industry wide voluntarly ban of selling downers (and I never said that they arrived at the stockyard or the feedlot as a downer) even for dogfood???
Show me a salebarn that sells downers first. It needs to be happening before we can ban it.

mnmtranching":3j9ecegp said:
Most of us just don't have the experience you have.
You especially have proven that to everyone already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts