cat problem

Help Support CattleToday:

tommy&april

Reaction score
we have a 9 yr old cat that has never had this problem. she has always used the litter box without any problem. we just moved to a new house and she keeps going in the plants that are in the house and in the closet in the bedroom. does anyone know any cures for this or a reason why she might be doing this.

I don't know what causes such a thing but I know my moms cat did the same thing in the house plants when she moves. My mom took and put rocks in the pots at the base of the plant, so that they covered the surface of the soil. That put an end to it. Can you then shut the closet door?

tommy&april":9sw5q8oj said:
we have a 9 yr old cat that has never had this problem. she has always used the litter box without any problem. we just moved to a new house and she keeps going in the plants that are in the house and in the closet in the bedroom. does anyone know any cures for this or a reason why she might be doing this.

She's marking her territory. I had a cat do this while I was pregnant. Just started all of a sudden spraying the furniture, the rug, one spot on the bathroom floor. The last straw was when he marked the baby's bed. I found a new home for him then. It really broke my older son's heart but I just could not stand to have him do it, especially around a baby.

You can buy products that are supposed to keep them from marking. Mine didn't work, but you can try putting citrinella (sp) around the plant bases. That might work. I don't think they like mothballs, either.

Might stop her but then she might just start marking other things.

Cats HATE change, it scares the crap out of them. And moving is a cat's biggest nightmare. It puts a huge amount of stress on her, and that's mainly why she's doing what she's doing. Cats like routine, moreso over change.

If you can, shut the closet door, put rocks on the soil of the plants, and show her where the litter box is. And keep an eye on her.

Good luck.

tommy&april":2a5svmd5 said:

Cat's don't like change, it upsets them and their routine. You might want to keep a little closer eye on her, and spend a little more time with her until she adjusts to being in a new place, and establishes a new routine. That will help to reassure her, and help her transition to the new house more easily. I would not lock her up, as that will only add to her anxiety.

Latest posts