Cat 3 to Cat 2 Conversion

Help Support CattleToday:

Very unlikely a bale unroller has Cat 3 pins in it IMO. Would be pretty comfortable saying if thats the actual piece in question those are Cat 2 pins.
I very well could be wrong and should've measure but was of the understanding my tractor Cat 1 and Cat 2 compatible so when it didn't fit I assumed it must've been Cat 3. Will report back and thanks for the help!

I think that is Cat 2, and you want Cat1
You just need a sleeve if you can't find a Cat 1 pin with the right thread size, you should be able to find them, but otherwise a machine shop could make them for you easily, or the other option is to have a machine shop turn down your existing pins to Cat 1 specs.
Even one more thing you could do is look for Cat 2 lift arms for your Massey, our MF165 has Cat 2 arms, and our MF255 has Cat 1... that would open up options for other implements
See that's why I don't understand my 240 Isn't cat 2? Who freaking knows though...

Easier than going back to your implement measure the hole in your arms. If it is 7/8" you know you need Cat 1. No problem to set it up will just take about 30 min. and less than $20 to fix it. Also when you change it to Cat 1 you may have to put the pins on the inside as a lot of Cat 2 frames are slightly wider.

the pins pointing inward are an absolute #^%#.. I'd go through great lengths to avoid that..if you're only hooking on once a year you can live with it, but if you do it often you're going to hate it

I would add here that, depending on the size of hay bale you are unrolling, you may want to add ballast to the front end. It doesn't take much to get the front wheels of a tractor that size off the ground.
Yeah, they are 6'x4' prairie bales and some crabgrass bales. I definitely want to get some weights on the front before going WFO.

the pins pointing inward are an absolute #^%#.. I'd go through great lengths to avoid that..if you're only hooking on once a year you can live with it, but if you do it often you're going to hate it

I think these may help.

Attachments

• B2B6D40B-8A7E-4E0B-A7B3-2A80B0C26F25.jpeg
    B2B6D40B-8A7E-4E0B-A7B3-2A80B0C26F25.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • 5079A8FC-C1F4-4434-BAEF-FBC7970C87F0.jpeg
    5079A8FC-C1F4-4434-BAEF-FBC7970C87F0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • 4D480584-359B-4BC9-9ACF-D1C93DD8A2FB.jpeg
    4D480584-359B-4BC9-9ACF-D1C93DD8A2FB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
Looks like a Cat 2 pin. Take that Cat 2 pin out and see what size the threads are and the mounting hole. Go to any decent implement dealer and get a Cat 1 pin with the proper size threaded shank for your hole. Or go the bushing route if nobody has what you need in stock.

Looks like a Cat 2 pin. Take that Cat 2 pin out and see what size the threads are and the mounting hole. Go to any decent implement dealer and get a Cat 1 pin with the proper size threaded shank for your hole. Or go the bushing route if nobody has what you need in stock.
At the risk of beating a dead reindeer, still think they're Cat 2?

Attachments

• 5BC9E2A7-FD53-4B1F-8BA4-BA4BE1F8058C.jpeg
    5BC9E2A7-FD53-4B1F-8BA4-BA4BE1F8058C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
As has been stated, Cat 2 pin diameter is 1-1/8". Cat 1 pin diameter is 7/8". Cat 3 pin diameter is 1-7/16". That picture sure looks close to 1-1/8". Unscrew that pin and take it to your farm equipment dealer. For sure, they will get you going or will sell you a tractor that will fit that unroller.

Last edited:
Looks cat 2 to me. Most any good implement dealer will have the pin you need, or a bushing to put on a standard cat 1 pin.

Or if you have a buddy with a lathe just cut it down to 7/8" and be on your way.

Or by chance does your tractor have removable balls on the end of the 3pt arms you can change out to Cat 2 size?

Latest posts