Cat 3 to Cat 2 Conversion

Help Support CattleToday:

ValleyView

Reaction score
Does anyone have advice on how to convert threaded Cat3 pins to Cat2 to fit a MF 240 tractor? BA64CE67-4063-453C-B570-C4B6E7895DA0.jpeg

Attachments

• 3E5FEEBE-A5D3-469D-B756-752725E55B1B.jpeg
    3E5FEEBE-A5D3-469D-B756-752725E55B1B.jpeg
    501.1 KB · Views: 24
Those look like Cat 2 now so maybe you mean 2-1 but either way you just stick a punch in the hole and a socket or wrench on the nut. Unscrew one and reverse the process to install new ones the size you want. Should be able to pick up pins at any good farm store. If I misunderstand what your asking I apologize.

Those look like Cat 2 now so maybe you mean 2-1 but either way you just stick a punch in the hole and a socket or wrench on the nut. Unscrew one and reverse the process to install new ones the size you want. Should be able to pick up pins at any good farm store. If I misunderstand what your asking I apologize.
But, aren't the hole sizes different for the pins? What I mean is that Cat 2 is smaller so if you put a Cat 2 pin in a Cat 3 hole, don't you leave a lot of play?

The unroller in the picture looks like one at Bush Hog. The Bush Hog one is Cat 2; it says nothing about Cat 3. ValleyView, what size are the pins?

Last edited:
But, aren't the hole sizes different for the pins? What I mean is that Cat 2 is smaller so if you put a Cat 2 pin in a Cat 3 hole, don't you leave a lot of play?
You can buy them with different shank sizes but generally you just tighten them up good and go. On a bale unroller it would be fine. If it were an issue you buy the correct bushing that goes on it and cut a section to fit the frame.

Yes, you can just slip the smaller cat2 threaded end into the implement holes and tighten the crap out of the nut, but they have a tendency to work loose and waller the hole out even bigger. To do it right, you will need cat3 to cat2 bushings to go in the holes where the larger cat3 pin was. What I've seen done is to buy a cat 3 to cat 2 top link bushing , which is usually too long for an implement's lift arm pins, so you will have to cut it to the correct length.1 top link bushing should easily make 2 bushings for the pins down on the lift arm positions. The top link conversion bushings are about $2-$3 last time I looked.

toplink.jpg

Yes, that is the issue. If it's Cat 3 and I need Cat 2, the holes in the implement are for the larger size, but a bushing could fix this. I was hoping there are necked down Cat 3 to 2 or Cat 2 to 1 bolts I could slide in. Tractor and Implement are 20 miles away so I can't get measurements or additional pics until tomorrow. I am nearly positive it's Cat 3, but I could be wrong.

Yes, you can just slip the smaller cat2 threaded end into the implement holes and tighten the crap out of the nut, but they have a tendency to work loose and waller the hole out even bigger. To do it right, you will need cat3 to cat2 bushings to go in the holes where the larger cat3 pin was. What I've seen done is to buy a cat 3 to cat 2 top link bushing , which is usually too long for an implement's lift arm pins, so you will have to cut it to the correct length.1 top link bushing should easily make 2 bushings for the pins down on the lift arm positions. The top link conversion bushings are about $2-$3 last time I looked.

View attachment 11507
Yes this is what i was talking about. You explained it better.

Yes, that is the issue. If it's Cat 3 and I need Cat 2, the holes in the implement are for the larger size, but a bushing could fix this. I was hoping there are necked down Cat 3 to 2 or Cat 2 to 1 bolts I could slide in. Tractor and Implement are 20 miles away so I can't get measurements or additional pics until tomorrow. I am nearly positive it's Cat 3, but I could be wrong.
They do make such a thing I have seen them but not something most stores will have on the shelf depending on whats around you. Bet you can find it on the interweb though.

Very unlikely a bale unroller has Cat 3 pins in it IMO. Would be pretty comfortable saying if thats the actual piece in question those are Cat 2 pins.

The unroller in the picture looks like one at Bush Hog. The Bush Hog one is Cat 2; it says nothing about Cat 3. ValleyView, what size are the pins?
It's similar model, but mine is Industrias America from DH Equipment. Not sure, should have measured, but they're way bigger than my 6' disc and brush hog.

I'd like to find the proper pin width through the implement and then have it reduce to the size hole in my lift arms if that makes sense.

I think that is Cat 2, and you want Cat1
You just need a sleeve if you can't find a Cat 1 pin with the right thread size, you should be able to find them, but otherwise a machine shop could make them for you easily, or the other option is to have a machine shop turn down your existing pins to Cat 1 specs.
Even one more thing you could do is look for Cat 2 lift arms for your Massey, our MF165 has Cat 2 arms, and our MF255 has Cat 1... that would open up options for other implements

honestly, for just a bale unroller, you should be fine even if you have a bigger hole than the threaded part is.. on stuff that vibrates and shakes a lot a tighter fit is more important
Get the Cat 1 pins, put them in, run it, check for tightness a couple times, and if you have problems, then worry about another solution

Buy new pins that fit your tractor then weld a 1/4" plate with the correct size hole on each side of the hole on the unroller mounts. I'm like the others, I have never seen a unroller with Cat 3 pins.

Latest posts