Cat 226 skid steer

Help Support CattleToday:

KMacGinley":wfsvpdql said:
Anybody had one or know anything about them good or bad?
61 HP pretty good lil machines as long as you don'd use them for a bulldozer or any other activity you wouldnt use a 61 HP machine for. Check the hours on it as I wouldn't buy one with over 2000 hours --just wont pay... unless you know the seller. A lot of people abuse those little machines and try to turn them into an all purpose all terrain vehicle

Thanks AC, it is a machine with Tires. New engine, new drive motors new tires. 54 horsepower. Don't know the bulldozing history. 2001 model, so it was the 3rd. year for them, I assume that they might have had most of the bugs worked out by then. :)

KMacGinley":w6fz5ii4 said:
Thanks AC, it is a machine with Tires. New engine, new drive motors new tires. 54 horsepower. Don't know the bulldozing history. 2001 model, so it was the 3rd. year for them, I assume that they might have had most of the bugs worked out by then. :)
wasn't many bugs at all that I knew about I had a excavating co and we had a couple of them and leased several others when we needed them and I don't recall any prob

Stay away from the John deeres thought they are junk have several friends that had them an they all had major problems and they didn't abuse them
good luck

I don't know anything at all about that particular model but make sure whatever you get will handle a roll of hay without getting tippy. Wife and I have been drooling over skid steers for the last couple years, but I just can't make the numbers work. I'd like to have a New Holland LX885 or 985 personally.

KMacGinley":13onqxfu said:

A machine that's 8 years old and has already had to have a new engine, new drive motors, etc? That machine either had a lot of hours, a lack of maintenance, or a lot of abuse.

grannysoo":5u937bz6 said:
KMacGinley":5u937bz6 said:

A machine that's 8 years old and has already had to have a new engine, new drive motors, etc? That machine either had a lot of hours, a lack of maintenance, or a lot of abuse.

well if it was used by a const. company and or a landcape co this is abot right we usually but about a 1000 - 1200 hrs a yr on one and the drive motors usually needed rebuilt about 4-6000 hr and the motor about the same so that doesn't sound out of line at all on a skid loader to me

cfpinz":1xvsjawg said:
I don't know anything at all about that particular model but make sure whatever you get will handle a roll of hay without getting tippy. Wife and I have been drooling over skid steers for the last couple years, but I just can't make the numbers work. I'd like to have a New Holland LX885 or 985 personally.
e lft capacity on the 226 cat is about 1800lbs so shouldn't be a prob with hay as for the NH they are a good machine also' JD h just had problems with there hyd and drive motors

If the engine is new and the drive motors and tires, it couldn't need much more done to it. If the apperance is good and it isn't broken up it should be ready for alot more hours.

Thanks all for the responses. It came out of a sheet metal factory and I imagine it was run 3 shifts a day indoors, it had hard tires on it. The guys that have it are cat mechanics, the dealer took it in on trade and they bought it and reworked it. My present bobcat is a little underpowered to handle those big bales which is why I am considering it.

Latest posts