castration

Help Support CattleToday:

sloopy72

Reaction score
brand new here & just a quick question

just starting out and wondered if castration can be handled by just myself and one other if done a few days after birth?

thanks much

sloopy72":maomd2z6 said:

just starting out and wondered if castration can be handled by just myself and one other if done a few days after birth?

thanks much

Yes if you know what you're doing. You can still do it with two if the other person has experience

dun

thanks & nope, don't know what I'm doing so looks like I'll be enlisting some experienced help.

is it best when just learning to band or to cut?

thanks for the patience

Either or.............
Some people like to cut some to band. For someone truly green banding can be easier. But it's also a little hard to maniopulate the tool and the nuts if they slip back up inside. Just count to two as soon as you release the band from the tool. If you don't count two, cut the band and do it again. Cutting is also easy, but for a first timer on their own it can be a bit unnerving.

dun

sloopy72":38epltc5 said:
thanks for the advice. will take you up on that and go with the band 'til I can get a few more years under my belt.

gayle

If you have someone show you how to cut and keep reinforcing that everything is ok it's no big deal.

dun

sloopy72":28fy9f73 said:

thanks much
If you can't give a spinal block , according to a few you shouldn't be doing casteration surgury. You should call a vet. Make sure your vet clenic has a surgical team on stand by with lots of blood available for transfusions. Do you know the blood type of your calves?

ollie":yytvo5il said:
sloopy72":yytvo5il said:

thanks much
If you can't give a spinal block , according to a few you shouldn't be doing casteration surgury. You should call a vet. Make sure your vet clenic has a surgical team on stand by with lots of blood available for transfusions. Do you know the blood type of your calves?

Not quite that new to things Ollie............but thanks for the laugh
I asked because of my size and strength........105 pounds of girl here but willing to go about it with real advice.

I say cut them sloopy. As babies you can do it easy by yourself. All you need is someone to show you how. By the way go read the dogs thread on the coffee shop.

oh man Ollie.......sorry........I just re read your post and had first missed the part where you said "according to a few".

sorry for snappin at ya

and again...........thanks for the laugh

Here's another option to banding, do it when they are 6-7 months old. They have more growth.

On thing to be care full on both. Cutting - depending on season, bugs can get in there. Banding at birth - the bands could slip/break off or have a one nutter.

ok........in that regard, what season do you find the best ( or the least problem) for insects when speaking of cutting ; at whatever age.

I could pretend to be "heman", but I can't handle a 7 monther on the ground all that well.

When you band at that age you have them standing in a chute. Then come from behind and put it on. No 300 lbs Mr Universe muscles needed to tackle them ;-)

Here's a link to the site with the bander we use. http://www.castrator.com/

Typically cutting is done when branding. And branding usually(not always) happens when they are approx. 2-3 months of age. This would be May for most ranch operations -depending on region. Some regions are thick with bugs in May. Unlike our operation, we do not have bugs
until mid to end June. What area you are from will determine when you have bugs and no bugs. If you have fall breeding then hopefully by the time cutting comes around (Nov- Dec - Jan) you will have hardly any bugs or no bugs at all. I know we sure don't, haven't seen a bugs flying around at minus 30 degrees :lol:

What is excellent to know for branding and cutting (calf laying flat on side either on ground or calf table) is the tail position of the calf. If you take the base of the tail and wrap your hand around the base with knucks facing the top as if it is part of the spine and then rotate your wrist toward the backbone, the knucks will then be resting on the spine of the calf. You are bending the tail toward the calf's head. This will freeze/immobilize the calf's rear end. They will not kick or even move the legs. No rope or strong arms holding the legs ever needed again to try and keep the calf still. A ton of less strain/stress on the calf. The same effect happens when people move cattle in the chute alley way they lift up the tail and bring it forward to move the cow forward and the people get the cow who is frozen in their tracks effect. Not what they wanted.

Another caution with castration know what a normal nut feels like and what a abnormal nut feels like. It could be the difference between a live calf and a dead one. Now boys no smart comments :shock: :roll: And how do you know what is normal - go to other ranches to get first hand experience. Cutting is not for the first timers by themselves. Banding is more beginner proof.

Latest posts