castration

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I band all my bull calves at 1 or 2 days old if I can catch them and the moma isn't to ornery. My question applies to calves 300 lbs or more. Neither of my banders works for that size. When I was younger I watched a vet castrate with a knife. He cut through the bottom of the sac and then slowly pulled each one out cord and all. This is the way I have continued to do it for several years. I've been told recently that this can cause them to bleed to death internally. Whats the best method.

Lunker

[email protected]

Your vet should have a bander called the Callicrate Bander. This will work on 300lb calves that would be the best way to castrate a calf that big.

[email protected]

you know.... a person can do things a certain way for many years and not know that it may not be the best way... this is interesting to me because if have seen many 300# calves cut without problems, but did have a problem with one this year.. he did bleed internally.... i posted questions about it somewhere around may.

he finally got over it... but it was quite an ordeal.

would like to know the thoughts of some of you on this board... what is the largest calf that you would cut?

thanks

gene

> I band all my bull calves at 1 or
> 2 days old if I can catch them and
> the moma isn't to ornery. My
> question applies to calves 300 lbs
> or more. Neither of my banders
> works for that size. When I was
> younger I watched a vet castrate
> with a knife. He cut through the
> bottom of the sac and then slowly
> pulled each one out cord and all.
> This is the way I have continued
> to do it for several years. I've
> been told recently that this can
> cause them to bleed to death
> internally. Whats the best method.

> Lunker

[email protected]

> you know.... a person can do
> things a certain way for many
> years and not know that it may not
> be the best way... this is
> interesting to me because if have
> seen many 300# calves cut without
> problems, but did have a problem
> with one this year.. he did bleed
> internally.... i posted questions
> about it somewhere around may.

> he finally got over it... but it
> was quite an ordeal.

> would like to know the thoughts of
> some of you on this board... what
> is the largest calf that you would
> cut?

> thanks

> gene Cut one for a friend that he just thought had to be cut at around 500 lbs. The calf did just fine. Cut one of my own at 100 lbs and it died.

[email protected]

I agree that the Callicrate (or however it is spelled) is one of the best things to come around in a long time. Gets rid of a lot of the worry that comes with cutting. I swear by it. I have banded 700 pounders for people before. The loops (and the bander) are both high dollar, but worth it. I do not know anyone who has had any trouble with them.

Does anyone have a contrary experience with this bander?

[email protected]

i had a friend band three calves about 600-700 pounds and two them died from tetnus, the vet said the calves that size don't cut off the blood flow completely. the first one the flies had blown around the band.my friend has used it for years and swears by it too. i band mine when they are a couple of days old.
> I agree that the Callicrate (or
> however it is spelled) is one of
> the best things to come around in
> a long time. Gets rid of a lot of
> the worry that comes with cutting.
> I swear by it. I have banded 700
> pounders for people before. The
> loops (and the bander) are both
> high dollar, but worth it. I do
> not know anyone who has had any
> trouble with them.

> Does anyone have a contrary
> experience with this bander?

[email protected]

I guess nothing is perfect. I wholeheartedly agree that it is best for all parties involved to band the calves within days after birth. However, for those that can keep away until a roundup, the Callcrete (sp?) is pretty solid.

Duncan

[email protected]

we try to band when the calves are a day or two old. sometimes one will slip by & we can't catch it until later, or sometimes a registered calf isn't turning into herd bull quality so we'll decide to castrate. anyway, we still band these older calves but we always accompany with a tetanus shot.

Latest posts