castration

Help Support CattleToday:

Workinonit Farm":2is3tn2g said:
Aaron":2is3tn2g said:
You posting about your 16-year old daughter's boyfriend and now asking about castration has me questioning your thinking there Carlos. :shock: ;-)

Nice to know I'm not the only one to make that same observation. :lol:

Katherine
years ago I thought about cutting a steer hanging them over the door and telling boys when they started comeing around that .;that was the last one ------- I had forgotten ,hmmm.

I'm in the south and I cut the entire sac off. I spray the opening with a screwworm/fly spray and have yet (knock on wood) to have a problem.

Carlos,

I now use a # 10 scalpel - cuts like butter (we earmark too) and change the blade every dozen or so animals - depends on how much hair you are cutting, and has the added benefit of reducing the chance of disease transmission.

with young stuff they are dry in an hour or two - don't worry much about flies (also in a dry climate most of the time!) on bigger stuff or if flies are bad might put something on it, but not ususally

sidney411,

Do you cut everthing at once or sac first then contents?

Sac first, then pull out the testicles until the cord breaks, cut any remaining cord that is hanging out. Trim any fat that is hanging out also. spray, implant, tag, any shots needed and go.

How long does a 300-350 pound calf have drainage after castration? We cut 1/3 of the sack, pulled/cut testicles, sprayed w/antiseptic/fly repellent, tagged, and gave a shot of Covexin to seven big calves and one 125 lb calf last Thursday. The smaller calf seems pretty much over it already, but the larger ones (as expected) are still moving around pretty slow. One seems to have a little more drainage than the others. Not sure what is normal as I've just recently learned that taking bull calves to the auction is irresponsible management. Trying to do what is right and this is the first bunch of calves I've castrated.

I've never cut one bigger then about 250 I guess. We try to get them pretty small so they are easier to handle and get over it quick. Also we try to always do it early in the morning or late at night. I like early morning better before they get running around and heated up, they don't bleed as much or for as long.

Draining blood or like infection drainage? You might want to give them a shot of LA200 or something if they are showing signs of infection. I've used the blood stop powder on a couple that was bleeding more then normal.

sidney411":34voljxz said:
I've never cut one bigger then about 250 I guess. We try to get them pretty small so they are easier to handle and get over it quick. Also we try to always do it early in the morning or late at night. I like early morning better before they get running around and heated up, they don't bleed as much or for as long.

Draining blood or like infection drainage? You might want to give them a shot of LA200 or something if they are showing signs of infection. I've used the blood stop powder on a couple that was bleeding more then normal.

I think it was just blood. It was semi dried on one of the steers back legs. I think all is alright. I was just wondering how long until they'd heal. I did it early morning on the day the Farmer's Almanac suggested. You can bet I'll do them a lot smaller from now on.

Carlos D.":h96iqeav said:
paying a little bit of a premium for cut calves now My nieghbour buys 150 steers every year and he will have at least 10-15% with 1 testical insde .nasty job to get it out when theres no sack there carl

Which is why stocker buyers around here dock banded calves. Their order of preference is cut-casterated, non-casterated and banded. We cut ours soon after birth and give them RalGrow at 3 months. They will outweigh the bull calves at weaning. btw - we cut the lower 1/3 to 1/2 off.