castration

Help Support CattleToday:

Carlos D.

Reaction score
I was watching some thing about castrateing down south

I THINK they were cutting the whole sack off --did I see that right-because up here we just slit the bag and take out the testical---Or use castrateing rings when their born. but this year I missed a few and man they grew pretty good Im thinking of going back to the knife in the fall.

carl

Carlos D.":eejd6nnt said:
--did I see that right-because up here we just slit the bag and take out the testical
carl

You didn't see that right.

Some of the steers get the sac cut completely off, and others still have the sac hanging, but no testicle.

I guess it depends on the methods/preferences of different farms or ranches.

IluvABbeef":3p1ksiss said:
Some of the steers get the sac cut completely off, and others still have the sac hanging, but no testicle.

Which way do ya'll do it?

Wewild":ex1nwp6z said:
IluvABbeef":ex1nwp6z said:

Which way do ya'll do it?

We take the bulls ('cause there's usually one or two that have to be cut out of about a hundred steers every year) to the vet, and 'most always he leaves the sac on the animal.

Steers we bought come from different ranches/farms up by Grande Prairie, so that's why I find the variety of sacs/no-sacs steers.

we pinch ours here can do it all year round vet comes to our place or neighbour comes over had nothing but problems cutting them

You posting about your 16-year old daughter's boyfriend and now asking about castration has me questioning your thinking there Carlos. :shock: ;-)

Aaron":3w2amhee said:
You posting about your 16-year old daughter's boyfriend and now asking about castration has me questioning your thinking there Carlos. :shock: ;-)

Nice to know I'm not the only one to make that same observation. :lol:

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":2o47orey said:
Aaron":2o47orey said:

Katherine

you can lead him with a nose ring i'll bet! :lol:

Carlos D.":qsosobk8 said:
I was watching some thing about castrateing down south

I THINK they were cutting the whole sack off --did I see that right-because up here we just slit the bag and take out the testical---

carl
I usually slit, but I think I am in the minority.

So do you guys down south have a trick for the flies were pretty limited to spring and fall here .I would like to castrate when their 6 months old --at least i'd like to try it for a year ;they done it years ago -didn't seem to have many problems the reason I want to do this --I had about 6-7 bull calves born late and they werent castrated there sure out shineing the ones thst were ringed at birth--And I think there paying a little bit of a premium for cut calves now My nieghbour buys 150 steers every year and he will have at least 10-15% with 1 testical insde .nasty job to get it out when theres no sack there

carl

glover36":3rnje2th said:
we pinch ours here can do it all year round vet comes to our place or neighbour comes over had nothing but problems cutting them
whats the proper way to use the budeasers (pinchers) Ive use them had some success but had some misses to

carl

you can do it to different ways somevets hold it the pinch for a while and just move the pinchers around on each vas deferen others do two pinches on each vas deferens to make sure

My steer still has his sack, I think he was the only one in the barn that had his testicles cut out because his sack is much more visible than any of the other steers(I think the rest where banded)

LOL Carlos, I went from reading your 16 year old daughter post and the next topic from you was this one entitled castration

Workinonit Farm":1krazipw said:
Aaron":1krazipw said:

Katherine

That makes 3! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AngusSenorita":dmco1oaa said:
My steer still has his sack, I think he was the only one in the barn that had his testicles cut out because his sack is much more visible than any of the other steers(I think the rest where banded)

same here. most people in the area band. grandpa is set in his ways though

Hippie Rancher":1fz63xz2 said:
I cut the lower 1/3 off then pull the testicles out if young - scrape/cut if big.

I think cutting the sac helps with drainage.
do you have a tool for this--(for cutting the i/3 off) ??or do you just use a kniife and what about flies

carl