Castration

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What is the optimum time frame for castration. How soon and how late after birth can it be done. What risks are related. My preference will most likely be banding. Can you advise?<br>Thanx !!!
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

(User Above)":3b3vjp1g said:
: What is the optimum time frame for castration. How soon and how late after birth can it be done. What risks are related. My preference will most likely be banding. Can you advise?<br>: Thanx !!! <br>My preference is to band young, definitely under 300 lbs or so, since there is less chance of systemic problems at this size. The larger the calf, the more growth you'll get out of an intact animal, but to elastrate a 500lb bull, you'll run a fair risk of infection, tetanus etc. This will depend on the breed, of course, since some breeds, such as simmies or herefords have much larger testicles than say blondes or limos....in my experience, not knocking the other breeds. I'd recommend you find out what the optimum time is in your area for your breed of cattle. Good Luck<br>V<br>
<br>

[email protected]

Just a note..Longhorn breeders generally wait to castrate until after weaning, particularly if selling calves as trophy steers or ropers, as the horn base develops heavier as bulls. I have waited to 12 months with no problems..but give a tetanus shot.<br>: : What is the optimum time frame for castration. How soon and how late after birth can it be done. What risks are related. My preference will most likely be banding. Can you advise?<br>: : Thanx !!! <br>: My preference is to band young, definitely under 300 lbs or so, since there is less chance of systemic problems at this size. The larger the calf, the more growth you'll get out of an intact animal, but to elastrate a 500lb bull, you'll run a fair risk of infection, tetanus etc. This will depend on the breed, of course, since some breeds, such as simmies or herefords have much larger testicles than say blondes or limos....in my experience, not knocking the other breeds. I'd recommend you find out what the optimum time is in your area for your breed of cattle. Good Luck<br>: V<p>
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts