castration

Help Support CattleToday:

mikebowen

Reaction score
I'm new at this and was just wondering about how to cut calves? Slice the bag or cut a hole? Or what? Also what age or size should I do this to them?

We use the four fingured spreader and the green cheerios.
Make sure that you've got both of them in the bottom of the sack when you release the bander...and leave a little sack with the calf...check when you work the calves for signs of infection...we haven't had any problems but we always make sure. No muss, no fuss, no blood and a happier calf.
Dave Mc

mikebowen":213zkntc said:
I'm new at this and was just wondering about how to cut calves? Slice the bag or cut a hole? Or what? Also what age or size should I do this to them?

If you are wanting to cut them, people do it both ways. One of our vets cuts the whole bottom of the bag off, we cut slits. Age wise there is some debate. We cut early when I can hold them down, because our chute doesn't work real well for small calves. If we wait until later, I halter them in the stock trailer and push them into the side of the trailer with my knee under the belly. Some people delay with the idea that the extra testosterone increases muscling and growth.

It was not all that long ago we did nothing more here than put a ring on the scrotum just above the testicles.

We have switched to cutting and pulling - and are going to attempt a herd wide pinch this year - so we have kind of gone the whole circle.

Easiest method - get them fresh on the ground - dig around and get both testicles down in the scrotum and put a ring on the calf.

Next method - one I am starting to prefer due to what at least here seems like better weight gains is to cut them. Weight gains is what I am after.

I like to do it with the calf standing - and we do it at weaning - usually around 6 - 7 months of age.

"Milk" the various strands and fibres UP into the body and allow the testicles to drop on their own.

Using a sharp pair of scissors (surgicals work great) make the cut horizontal and take off approximately 1/4 inch of the scrotal sac.

The testicles can be seen to drop - if not pull them out. I grab one testicle between the base of the thumb and forefinger - and I place the other testicle between the base of the fore finger and the middle finger.

Pulling down smoothly and firmly the testicles will come - do not yank them down - just pull - if you are not strong enough, then pull one at a time.

Toss them in a clean plastic bucket - you can eat them later!

Once both testicles are removed. I trim anything hanging below the initial cut line. Spray on some disinfectant and fly spray - turn them out. Finished.

Never have I ever used any tetanus - but I have upon ocaission used a booster of PenG - just in case of infection - I had to be reminded of that by my oldest daughter - I usually say we give them nothing - but that is because the girls must be hitting them in the neck while I am taking their jewels. As you can see, I am not the planner/organizer - I simply provide free labour.

We do a horizontal cut to allow good drainage of any body fluids. Side cuts sometimes allow dirt and fluids to build up in the base of the scrotal sac.

Be advised - I have never had to tie up a leg or to twist a tail. I have never been kicked - they generally just stand there and take it.

We leave them on the cow for a few days for them to get over it and then wean as required. This year our tentative plan is to leave them on the cows for an extra month perhaps two - so we will see what that does to weight gain and feed consumption.

That's it for me - hope it helps,

Bez

I band my commercials now. You would restrain the animal. Cut the bottem 1/3 of the scrotum off. You will see the white sack. Morethan likely you cut it open. I then would catch one and with the knife, scrape up the fat to expose the veins and other stuff. I usually used a pair of (sp) hemostats to clamp the vein. I never sliced. Using the same motion scrape back and forth until it cuts away. This is a technical writers nightmare. I hope it helps. Once again banders are alot easier.

Scotty

Susie David":2fk2dunq said:
Make sure that you've got both of them in the bottom of the sack when you release the bander...and leave a little sack with the calf...check when you work the calves for signs of infection...we haven't had any problems but we always make sure. No muss, no fuss, no blood and a happier calf.
Dave Mc
Thanks for the info. I am going to try this method. Mike Bowen

mikebowen":1b7tbezy said:
Susie David":1b7tbezy said:
Dave Mc

Just make sure you have a pair of dykes.side cutters to clip the band if need be. After releasing the band from the tool, count tow in the sack. If not, cut the band off and start over.

dun

dun":28qh8k8u said:
mikebowen":28qh8k8u said:
Susie David":28qh8k8u said:
Dave Mc

Just make sure you have a pair of dykes.side cutters to clip the band if need be. After releasing the band from the tool, count tow in the sack. If not, cut the band off and start over.

dun
Thanks, never thought of that!

mikebowen":2k5lwciu said:

:shock: :?: :shock: :?: :shock: :?: :shock: :?: :shock: :?: ...................................... :eek: :eek:

??? What?????????

There is a beginners board........... :shock:

Wilson_Cattle_Company":3la6xsb9 said:
mikebowen":3la6xsb9 said:

:shock: :?: :shock: :?: :shock: :?: :shock: :?: :shock: :?: ...................................... :eek: :eek:

??? What?????????

There is a beginners board........... :shock:
Sorry, said I was new at this. Mike

mikebowen don't let wilson cattle company bug you. If you have a question just ask. He has learned it all in his short life. Wish the rest of us could be so knowlegable.

Mikebowen - you just keep asking questions. That is how you learn. Most of us don't really give it much thought which board a question is put on. Such a small matter... much bigger things to worry about in this world.

I cut them anywhere from a week old to a few months old. Just whenever I catch them. I find it easier on me and the calf to just cut them and get it over with. I banded one ONCE and will never do that again. The whole process took a couple of weeks. I get the guys to hold the calf down and pull the sack and cut about 1/2 to 3/4 off. Pull out the testicles one at a time - no cutting - just pull hard until they come out cord and all. If there is any fat hanging out the sack I will cut that off. Spray with screw worm spray, implant, and let them go. Every single one has jumped right up and ran to momma, some start nursing immediately. I've never had one get infected either (Knock on wood) Always remember to have a good sharp knife though and try to get it done early in the morning as you can, never in the heat of the day or if you've been running them let them settle down for a while first.