Castration - What age and method is best

Help Support CattleToday:

Dun could you tell us who sets the standards and enforces the requirments of meat labeling here in the USA. Would that be the USDA or Meyernatural angus?

"99.9% of feedlot cattle can be sold as natural beef."

Just because its fits the "rules"l(if it actually does) doesn't mean you should do it.

People are trying to get something different than the 99.9% available commercially-- they should be getting what they want and what they are going to the extra trouble/expense to get.

I am upfront and tell customers when I have one that has been implanted- its just the right thing to do, I don't need to have a set of rules to tell me when I am "who doing" someone. And I am certainly not going to use a set of "rules" to justify "who doing" someone.

bannedagain":3fmh1w8d said:
Before this turns into yet another thread where I belittle and badger the uninformed about their overwhelming stupidity. Here is the true definition from the only place that matters.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Me ... /index.asp
where's your ol' buddy ALX at to help you out?? he can run around like a little feist dog barking for you
:cowboy:

howdy the definition of natural beef is in clear print straight from the governing body, don't be one of those people I previously mentioned. The government defined the word natural on a meat label to protect consumers from certain people who try to twist the meaning of natural into their own definition.

We band at weaning (500-550#) with a calctrate bander,I feel we get better growth leaving them intact through the growing season, booster shot with tetnaus, band in november or later when there are no flys around. We are starting to sell some breeding stock gives us a chance to evaluate the bull calves before deciding which ones stay intact or become steers. If on the fence whether they stay bulls or steers I give them another month maybe two max. I think everyones situation is different and what works for them or facilities that they have to use or the help they have around.

ANAZAZI":1k5549ha said:
I do not castrate. It is useless to do here in sweden, one loses growth but gains no better prize for steers than bulls.

Pretty much the same here in Venezuela. Buyers will discount a steer because of that "loss".....ie nasty fat. :lol2: Nearly 100% of male cattle are sold as full-fledged bulls, and boy, does the it taste and cut like bull meat.

For cattle destined for my personal consumption, I castrate with the cheerio bander placing the band on when the animal is only a few days old. Seems to work well when the animals are very young. Have experienced a few problems as the animals get older.

I use cheerios at branding...spring shots etc.

Tried @ ear taggin time. Usually small and hard to find. Or they would slip out when putting it on because it was wiggleing around on me. Also trying to do that, tag, and give a shot all while trying to keep an eye on the cow was kinda hard.

I might have one steer that the band brakes on me before it falls off. I just catch it @ pre-con time. This was the first year in 13 years that I had one that a nut had slipped above the ring somehow when I put it on. Had a buddy help me one year and he was impressed. He thought it was faster than cutting. I agreed and thats part of why I do it.

Kinda interesting I read a K-state article. They were pushing cutting because of animal rights groups. They done "research" (how would you research this IDK) that it would hurt less. Personally I think it would be the other way around. They may swell up a bit, and stagger around a little (ive never seen em stagger), but that vs having your sack cut off and them pulled out and cut again :cry2: !

Just my 2 cents.

We only castrate for "attitude" adjustments and it really works...cuts down on that testerone level :lol:
Vet knife cuts them, age depends on when it's apparent they are just plain ready. We sell freezer beef and breeding stock. Some prefer registered and some prefer crosses. For the most part, we butcher intact bulls and you CANNOT tell the difference. It's very tender meat.... genetics? ....feed? It is also lower backfat due to being bulls and some due to genetics.
Valerie

Latest posts