Castration weather/stress level

Help Support CattleToday:

talltimber

Reaction score
Sign came in on Wed., I'll take all the help I can get, either real or imagined. We got rain yesterday, temps have been in the 40's-50's. I had intended to cut them yesterday. With the rain, the front dropped temps to 16 last night. It's a cold morning and those calves are wet and cold I would assume. I will be checking them in a while. Dad called to see if I needed help yesterday, it was raining when he called, and I told him no. I don't want to cut them until after they dry off and have at least one day of sun to warm up, and maybe dry the ground (pasture) a little bit. Sign goes out the 14th Thurs. No rain forecast til Friday. I am thinking that tomorrow may be the day, but may not be able to get any help. I think that cutting them now will stress them too much, as this is really our first cold snap, plus the rain right before. Does this sound reasonable, or am I putting too much thought into what these calves can take? I don't want to add any more stress at a time than I have to.

I say cut them. I cut by the signs also. And I can tell a difference in the bleeding.

FWIW, if I ever have to castrate any over 350 pounds again, they will be banded and given tetanus. I'm not cutting any bigger ones again. It sets them back too much. I know people have been doing it for years, but it don't like it. Just my :2cents: