Castration question

Help Support CattleToday:

since you want to cut your calf, ignore the naysayers and go ahead and cut him. i cut most of mine in may and june with plenty of flies for company and never have any trouble. i don't even know you and i would be willing to bet on you being successful at it. and you can even dispense with the scrubbing and scalpel because a sharp pocketknife is just fine for the job. since you asked for advice on how to do it (and so far haven't gotten it), i'll share my method with you:

i prefer to cut from the side with the calf standing. others prefer cutting from the back with someone holding the tail up, some prefer laying the calf down. cutting from the side with one foot tied back is safe and quick. it only takes one person to help you.

first, be sure that you can feel both nuts. if you can't feel both of them and/or can't get one of them to drop, you need to wait and try again later. once you are sure that the calf has both of them dropped, grab the sack at the bottom and twist it until you push the nuts up to the top and out of the way. with a sharp knife, now cut the bottom of the sack off below the nuts. this will be approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of the sack. too much allows too big of an opening, too little doesn't allow drainage. twisting the sack usually gets it just about right.

when cutting the sack off, be careful that you don't cut across into the leg. the femoral artery runs down the inside of the leg and if you accidentally cut into it, your calf will likely bleed to death before you can stop it.

once the sack is removed, put your knife down because you are most likely through with it. grab one of the nuts (you might have to squeeze up above them to get them back down) and pull it down. wrap the cord around two fingers and continue to pull down. after you feel pressure on it, continue a steady pull until the cord pops. pulling the cords until they pop and snap back in instead of cutting them makes them bleed a lot less. now repeat for the second nut.

after you have both nuts out, be sure that nothing is left hanging below the sack. if any 'strings' are left hanging, pull them out also. you will probably have a little bit of blood still dripping at this time. that is normal and will usually clot fairly quickly. (in my experience, the sooner i quit messing with them and let them go to lay down, the quicker they stop bleeding.)

now you're ready to disinfect. i spray down everything that is open with 1% iodine. after the iodine, i then spray a fly spray on the wound and everywhere there is blood, all inside the legs. then i use a generic pour on ivermectin on the calf's back at the labeled rate. the ivermectin kicks in to control flies about the time that the fly spray wears off.

be sure he has plenty of fresh water and a clean place to lay down. your calf will probably be sore for a day or two and you will almost certainly see some swelling for a few days. this is normal and unless the swelling moves into the belly, you have nothing to worry about. if the swelling gets worse after a week or more, you will have an infection problem to deal with but that is not a big problem either and is very unlikely. we can deal with that if it happens, and it won't be a time-sensitive crisis, so don't worry about it now.

cut the calf and don't worry about it. i'll bet my money on you and the calf both being just fine.

Luv4whippets":3ixd0ffn said:
Thanks guys, my assistant from work was going to come out and help me. I doubt if he'll stand still to be banded or cut and I wasn't planning on it. He kicked when I just reached to make sure they were both there. One of farmers who comes in for coffee rec. I tie him. Do you just let them stand there because that seems dangerous? This was some of the information I was looking for. In a book I read it said something about different band applicators (sure hope that was the proper terminology). Is there one that in your experience is better than others? Or can I just buy the average TSC model and have good results? For whoever asked I work for a mixed practice...small animal and equine. The farmer I talked to explained that most people pull everything too far thru the band and they end up looking like the calf in the health section because the cords pull everything back too tight to the body. That is what I am afraid of. Thanks everyone for your experience.

Do whatever makes you comfortable. We have cut them in the past, now we band them all. Lost one calf to the knife, and have NEVER lost one because it was banded. We band between 50 and 75 bull calves a year (run 100-150 head cow/calf) and I can count on one hand the # of infections we have had from banding. They are almost always done as day olds, cause they are easier to catch and I can do it all by myself. Just throw them down, sit over their shoulders with the front leg pulled up and pull the top hind leg forward works most of the time, count to 2 and slide the band on. They are more traumatized by the eartag they get than the banding.

I've never been a fan of cutting them, we did it cause DH wanted to (mostly for the Priairie oysters), until one year I convinced him to band part of them, and cut the rest, they were all about 1-2 months old when we did it that year. The banded calves never looked back. The cut calves all layed around and moped around for a couple days. Ended up with one badly infected, which we treated and saved as well. That convinced DH, and we have been banding them all for the last number of years. Never have given a tetnus shot at banding time, and as I said, have never lost a calf because of the banding.

Luv4whippets":12jtwpb5 said:
The farmer I talked to explained that most people pull everything too far thru the band and they end up looking like the calf in the health section because the cords pull everything back too tight to the body. That is what I am afraid of. Thanks everyone for your experience.

You're making this way more complicated than it needs to be. I ought to edit that post - thanks for the reminder, I have more pics of problems to add - and mention that a lot of calves DO look like that in the later stages before the band falls off. Bovines are tough critters and what will kill any other animal barely phases a calf. I'd suggest banding, much easier for all involved, count to 2, leave 4 teats outside the band, and then don't look under his tail for about 4 weeks. If you want to do it surgically go for it, but it's not near as complicated as you're trying to make it. I watched a vet cut one yesterday; I tailed the calf and he cut off the bottom of the sack and then used emasculators like you would for a horse. Calf never moved an inch. Knife and emasculators, no scrub before or after, and calf was done in about 15 seconds.

You're asking advice from some of the best and most current cattlemen/women in the country - read what they've written and then use it.

to help with infection and to steralize we buy some concentrated lysol at the good ole walmart, water it down a bit and splash some of that on there before we cut.

We were going to dehorn a calf this december while helping my grandpa. He said check in the Farmer's Almanac. I thought he was jokin but I guess the moon matters when you dehorn and such. :nod:

msscamp":270ynyg2 said:
Ok, I see. I've never understood that Farmer's Almanac thing.

I don't understand the Farmer's Almanac either, but it works. Call it an old wives tale or whatever, but gravitational forces due to tides and planet alingments affect all things. If you don't believe that, check out the emergency room in the hospital when there is a full moon.

grannysoo":arxuehnu said:
msscamp":arxuehnu said:
Ok, I see. I've never understood that Farmer's Almanac thing.

If you don't believe that, check out the emergency room in the hospital when there is a full moon.

Actually, I don't need to check out the emergency room in the hospital thing. When I first moved to Georgia I worked in the emergency room of a children's hospital, and it got downright crazy anytime there was a full moon. I worked the 3 to 11 shift, and we knew it was going to be a full moon long before the sun ever went down!