Castration Question

Help Support CattleToday:

lead_dog

Reaction score
I banded my bull calf about a week ago at 7 months of age. How long do I need to wait before I can put him back in with the cows/heifers?

Well, yeah, that's my concern. The heifers are starting to cycle and if he's still capable of breeding, I don't want to put him in there. So that's really my question. Is he still capable and if so, how long will he be?

i doubt at 7 months he will be able to do much harm. unless he is angus or gelbvieh

i don't know we had a 7-8mo bull on the lot and he got 2of the older cow they should be calfing any day !

I would think that a week with no blood flow to that area would have killed all usable functions.I doubt he will be that interested in the girls with his parts still soar but if you really want to be sure call your vet clinic in the morning and ask their advice.Aren't they all black and blue now?

lead_dog":1kzh08c1 said:
I banded my bull calf about a week ago at 7 months of age. How long do I need to wait before I can put him back in with the cows/heifers?

After he's banded, he is out of commission. Bands will be too tight to let him be effective even if he has interest. Will fall of in 4-6 weeks.

Thanks! He's going in today...I don't suspect any issues as he hasn't been showing much interest anyway.