Castration Problems

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
My wife and I castrated our bull calves last Sunday. Had one with a slightly retained testicle, it was also much smaller than the other. We had to pull on it pretty good to get it out and enough cord to cut. As of today still very stiff and grinding his teeth in discomfort, lots of swelling both in the sack and sheath. All (now) steers got a shot of long acting pen at the time of castration. Any suggestions or just watch him, banimine?

Alan

I would just watch him.

I've had a few steers do the same thing and they came through without any intervention.

Did you put topical antiseptic or antibiotic on it? I usually spray iodine in the cut to speed healing and reduce chance of infection. In fact, come to think of it, I haven't had any infections in the last couple of years.

Dusty Britches":g09jwnlj said:
Did you put topical antiseptic or antibiotic on it? I usually spray iodine in the cut to speed healing and reduce chance of infection.

Yes we sprayed the area with an iodine solution before we cut and then used a puffer powder after the castration, along with a pen shot.

Alan

sidney411":bupzoypi said:
He should be fine. I have had them pull them up and had to really work to get them out sometimes. It's normal. How big is he?

He's about 5 and half months around the 550 lb area.

Thanks,
Alan

That's why he's sore and stiff - the bigger they are the the harder it is on them. BTW how did you manage that size calf? calf table? I try to get them all before their 200 lbs.

sidney411":j3n8s042 said:
That's why he's sore and stiff - the bigger they are the the harder it is on them. BTW how did you manage that size calf? calf table? I try to get them all before their 200 lbs.
and the older they are the more their subject to tetanus

ALACOWMAN":spryoda3 said:
sidney411":spryoda3 said:
and the older they are the more their subject to tetanus

We gave them an 8 way a month or so ago that had tetanus in it.

Thanks for all the input, I'm learning more...

Alan

Latest posts