Castration issues/ possible infection

Help Support CattleToday:

Did you buy from an established cattle person or is this a Craigslist calf. If you get in a situation where someone who doesn't know is buying from someone who doesn't know things can get sideways pretty quick.

I can't believe they didn't tell you they had just given him antibiotics. considering sluaghter withdrawal it is something that has to be disclosed IMO.

Perhaps they neglected to give tetanus? I've not seen tetanus infection not sure how it manifests.

Can we get an update?😄
Update: our vet did not seem concerned and still has not been out to see him. We've contacted others but no one else deals with livestock in our area unfortunately. A family friend (with a commercial cattle busisness) came over to check him out for us said the amount of time was very unusual but separation was beginning. He also gave him a tetanus shot as the breeder wouldn't confirm whether he had it or not. Happy to say he lost his testicals yesterday and seems to be doing great! We are still trying to address the lumps from the injections given by breeder with the vet. We have been massaging them and they have gotten smaller but I suspect will always be there

Update: our vet did not seem concerned and still has not been out to see him. We've contacted others but no one else deals with livestock in our area unfortunately. A family friend (with a commercial cattle busisness) came over to check him out for us said the amount of time was very unusual but separation was beginning. He also gave him a tetanus shot as the breeder wouldn't confirm whether he had it or not. Happy to say he lost his testicals yesterday and seems to be doing great! We are still trying to address the lumps from the injections given by breeder with the vet. We have been massaging them and they have gotten smaller but I suspect will always be there
That is ridiculous all the way around. Glad some one came out to give you a hand.

No one in the group that yall are showing with had contacts or was willing to help? Who is your son showing through?

He currently only shows through 4h for a small but competitive county fair show. He is looking to start doing jackpots and mabey even join a show team this year. Unfortunately his 4h leader has been dealing with major health problems and was unable to help. He is also the only kid doing a steer project in his club. In previous years(showing pigs only) we were able to work with our breeder to resolve any issue.

Glad to hear that you did get someone out to help. And very glad that the sack has come off, and no other adverse effects. Hopefully with the massaging the lumps will keep going down more... and at least you now know what is considered acceptable and what is not.
I hope that your son does okay with the steer and that your 4-H leader resolves his health issues and can work more closely with you and your son. Joining a show team or group will hopefully get you in with some more experienced people who can address any issues in a more timely manner. Sorry, but I have my reservations about the vet not being concerned.... with you being new at this he should have given you the courtesy of coming out to look at him. I am so glad that the family friend was able to help out. Trust his advice because he is in the commercial business to make a living and they will do any and everything to keep their animals healthy and growing because it costs too much to NOT take care of their animals....

Best of luck to your son and in the future... let us know how things continue to go...

Latest posts