Castration issues/ possible infection

Help Support CattleToday:

nsm2021

Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2021
Messages
9
Reaction score
10
Hi my son just got his first show steer last week. We had previously picked him out But chose to wait to bring him home until he was castrated.(he was banded on September 6th) After 5weeks and being told any day now the castration was still not complete my son just couldn’t wait anymore so we picked him up last weekend(October 16). When we picked him up he was filthy. The next day we washed him up his testicles looked awful almost swollen I noticed that he had a swollen area on his neck as well I messaged the the breeder and they said it was probabley just from him breaking threw an electric fence the previous day and that the testicles were normal and not to worry. He seemed fine so we didn’t think to much of it. Yesterday (Thursday) the lump on his neck was a lot bigger he started acting agitated and mean and wouldn’t come out of his pen at all (he was previously the most friendly cow I’ve ever seen) and my son was able to bring him out on a halter and walk him around. this afternoon when we came home and checked on him we noticed the lump is bigger again and now there is a second lump. I felt them and he acts like it hurts when we touch it and it feels warm.His testicles seem to have improved since he’s been here in a dry pen but They are still no where near being ready to come off.I’m concerned that the band is not tight enough and could be causing him pain. We called the vet but haven’t heard back from them yet. I’m hoping for advice on what I can do until the vet is able to come? And is it normal to take almost 6 weeks for the castration, and also if the 2 could be connected? Thank you
 

sstterry

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Joined
Jul 8, 2017
Messages
4,939
Reaction score
1,780
Location
Bulls Gap, TN
Hi my son just got his first show steer last week. We had previously picked him out But chose to wait to bring him home until he was castrated.(he was banded on September 6th) After 5weeks and being told any day now the castration was still not complete my son just couldn’t wait anymore so we picked him up last weekend(October 16). When we picked him up he was filthy. The next day we washed him up his testicles looked awful almost swollen I noticed that he had a swollen area on his neck as well I messaged the the breeder and they said it was probabley just from him breaking threw an electric fence the previous day and that the testicles were normal and not to worry. He seemed fine so we didn’t think to much of it. Yesterday (Thursday) the lump on his neck was a lot bigger he started acting agitated and mean and wouldn’t come out of his pen at all (he was previously the most friendly cow I’ve ever seen) and my son was able to bring him out on a halter and walk him around. this afternoon when we came home and checked on him we noticed the lump is bigger again and now there is a second lump. I felt them and he acts like it hurts when we touch it and it feels warm.His testicles seem to have improved since he’s been here in a dry pen but They are still no where near being ready to come off.I’m concerned that the band is not tight enough and could be causing him pain. We called the vet but haven’t heard back from them yet. I’m hoping for advice on what I can do until the vet is able to come? And is it normal to take almost 6 weeks for the castration, and also if the 2 could be connected? Thank you
Listen to Ken. Let your Vet handle it. At this stage, the testicles should be cold and gone.
The breeder is taking advantage of you.
 
OP
N

nsm2021

Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2021
Messages
9
Reaction score
10
RE-FUND

They should not have let yall take him in that condition IMO.

No sure how big he was when he was castrated but they should have been gone around 2 weeks, plus or minus a few days.
Thank you! I appreciate you taking time to help!
 
OP
N

nsm2021

Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2021
Messages
9
Reaction score
10
I think the two things are related. I suspect that the lumps in the neck are from antibiotics they have given him such as LA300 because they were worried about the castration swellings and not falling off.
Welcome to CT. You will need to be guided by your Vet as to course of action.

Ken
Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to help!
 

farmerjan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 1, 2016
Messages
3,914
Reaction score
1,103
Location
Shenandoah ValleyVirginia
Agree with all the others that have replied. Yes, the first thing is have the vet look at him. We band alot of bigger bull calves and the testicles should be cold within 48 hours... it does sound like they did a lousy job with the castration. I also agree that the lumps on the neck may very well be from LA200 or other brand of oxytet, shots. It will often cause lumps and it burns when injected so that could be part of his being "touchy"... We always massage the area that we give the LA and always give it under the skin as opposed to the muscle as it nearly ALWAYS causes lump given in the muscle. Sure hope you can get him straightened out. It would be cause for a possible refund...
And in the future, find another source for his next steer. If there was a problem with banding they should have had a vet "fix it" and had him cut....
 

greybeard

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 5, 2012
Messages
21,234
Reaction score
2,382
Location
Cleveland Tx
If there was a problem with banding they should have had a vet "fix it" and had him cut....
Emphasis on THEY (the breeder.)
At 4 and certainly 5 weeks post-banding, the breeder would have/should have known something was not right and absolutely should have called their own vet to take care of it instead of allowing you to take ownership.
 

farmerjan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 1, 2016
Messages
3,914
Reaction score
1,103
Location
Shenandoah ValleyVirginia
Also, wanted to say welcome to CT . Many are longer members than I am and have lots and lots of years experience. awe are glad to have you. It would help if you could put your general area in your avatar. Go up to your name on top right, and down to account details and there is a place for location. Most of us give a general area or state. Some answers and info are more area specific so it helps to know where the person is when we make suggestions.
 
OP
N

nsm2021

Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2021
Messages
9
Reaction score
10
I think the two things are related. I suspect that the lumps in the neck are from antibiotics they have given him such as LA300 because they were worried about the castration swellings and not falling off.
Welcome to CT. You will need to be guided by your Vet as to course of action.

Ken
I have contacted the breeder again and they confirmed they did give him LA 300 as a precaution 3 days before we got him (she never mentioned this at pickup) and that it should go away on its own is this the case? (we have contacted the vet but he will not be available until Monday)
 

farmerjan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 1, 2016
Messages
3,914
Reaction score
1,103
Location
Shenandoah ValleyVirginia
We don't give LA 2 or 300 as a precaution to anything... mostly only ever use it for pinkeye and occasionally a foot root or warts in the hoof. Had maybe 2 cases in 30 years? I sure hope the vet can help you straighten it out since the ones you bought him from do not seem very willing to make good. I agree with @faster horses ... I would never go back to buy another calf from them.... for any reason.

It should go down but often they always have a little bit of a lump. And if it continues to get bigger or hotter, then it may be infected and the vet might have to lance it open... that is a case for a possible dirty needle...
Sorry you are dealing with this. It is wrong what they did and not telling you about the shot is further evidence that they did not do the banding correctly. All we ever give the older bigger calves that we band is tetanus and if they haven't had it before, a blackleg(clostridial) shot.
 
OP
N

nsm2021

Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2021
Messages
9
Reaction score
10
NSM2021: When is your son's 1st show date for the steer?
Both the botched castration and the physical/visual lump can cause him some problems at show time...

He likely won’t show until March but he has a tagging in 2 weeks for his county fair show for next august which is a terminal show for him. They will not allow him to be tagged unless castration is correctly completed. I also believe the lumps will be an issue for any show we try to attend. Our vet is also the vet for his county fair so he can advise us for that show. we are looking for a new steer for him. He would be heart broken if he didn’t get to show at all, he spent all of his own money from his last years swine project to buy this calf and hay etc...
 
OP
N

nsm2021

Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2021
Messages
9
Reaction score
10
We don't give LA 2 or 300 as a precaution to anything... mostly only ever use it for pinkeye and occasionally a foot root or warts in the hoof. Had maybe 2 cases in 30 years? I sure hope the vet can help you straighten it out since the ones you bought him from do not seem very willing to make good. I agree with @faster horses ... I would never go back to buy another calf from them.... for any reason.

It should go down but often they always have a little bit of a lump. And if it continues to get bigger or hotter, then it may be infected and the vet might have to lance it open... that is a case for a possible dirty needle...
Sorry you are dealing with this. It is wrong what they did and not telling you about the shot is further evidence that they did not do the banding correctly. All we ever give the older bigger calves that we band is tetanus and if they haven't had it before, a blackleg(clostridial) shot.
Thank you! I didn’t think it made sense to give as a preventative. I believe it is infected we are looking for a replacement calf for him and trying to get them to help or give a refund but they keep insisting it’s all normal and there vet okayed him
 

Hpacres440p

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 14, 2019
Messages
421
Reaction score
293
Thank you! I didn’t think it made sense to give as a preventative. I believe it is infected we are looking for a replacement calf for him and trying to get them to help or give a refund but they keep insisting it’s all normal and there vet okayed him
Find out who their vet is, meet them at the vet with the steer, or get their vet’s statement as a “different” client. Give them a copy. Take pictures. Offer to share information with area FFA or Ag advisors. They may be more willing to work with you. Not blackmail, documentation
 

Steve123

Active member
Joined
Apr 8, 2019
Messages
37
Reaction score
33
Patience is your best option. Wait for your vet to look at him. If this calf is show broke just give him some time. With inexperience you could go from a good situation to a worse situation. If this is the only one you have I would go find him a buddy.

We were always trying to find the next "great one" right up until weigh in.
 

faster horses

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 7, 2011
Messages
258
Reaction score
321
I would tell the sellers that...he spent his own money, etc. They need to know what he has put into this. Whether it helps or not, is up to them. But I'd sure let them know this isn't "just another calf" to your son. Again, good luck.
 

farmerjan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 1, 2016
Messages
3,914
Reaction score
1,103
Location
Shenandoah ValleyVirginia
They are flat out lying to you. This is totally NOT NORMAL. We buy and band many bull calves in the 4-600 lb size. We use a callicrate bander. They get tetanus and blackleg. We keep them in the barn lot for 48 hours and then make sure that the sack is cold to touch. Then they go out to pasture or wherever. Usually they sacks fall off in a couple weeks but they shrivel up. Summertime they will smell. Some people slit the bottoms so they don't get smelly. We have often cut the sack off after a week, because it is dead.
There is NO WAY their own vet should have okayed a calf in that condition to be sold for a show steer, if he was a real decent practicing veterinarian... I am with @Hpacres440p to document everything that has gone on. I also would talk to your vet about the situation. These people are looking at having some serious allegations against them.
I am sometimes a little too outspoken for my own good... but this is outright dishonesty and very very poor stewardship of their own animals. I would go farther than what @Hpacres440p has said, and not only would I confront them with their dishonesty, I would make sure they never sold another calf to any one for a show steer. There are mistakes and making good, and dishonest practices. This is unacceptable. Make sure you have pictures too because if it was me, I would consider going to court for fraud or misrepresentation or something and make them pay if they are not willing to try to make this right. Your son spent his hard earned money. He needs to have some sort of refund or reparation for what they have tried to pull.
 

Similar threads

A
Replies
2
Views
3K
Anonymous
A
A
Replies
10
Views
2K
A
Replies
2
Views
2K
Anonymous
A
A
Replies
1
Views
845
Anonymous
A

Latest posts

Top