castration dilemma?

Help Support CattleToday:

lilfarmgirl

Reaction score
I am not sure where to ask this question. I have three bulls that are going to be a year in June. I normally castrate them earlier but did not do that this year, now I am wondering if it is too late to castrate them? I was not sure of the meat quality because they were kept as bulls for almost a year. So my dilemma is castrate as usual or sell them off as bulls. I am hoping someone here has some insight on this.

Breed? At this date surgery might set them back and you'd have to feed them longer to get them back in condition.. Might take a knock in the price if they're bulls and not purebred.. Young bull meat is just as good if not better than run of the mill..put one in the freezer..

lilfarmgirl":1sywuo3h said:
I am not sure where to ask this question. I have three bulls that are going to be a year in June. I normally castrate them earlier but did not do that this year, now I am wondering if it is too late to castrate them? I was not sure of the meat quality because they were kept as bulls for almost a year. So my dilemma is castrate as usual or sell them off as bulls. I am hoping someone here has some insight on this.

What will you do with them after you casterate? For what it's worth, we sold a finished 14-month old bull for beef and the people said it was very good. If you're going to haul them to the sale barn anyway, I wouldn't bother with the casteration.

I can't see where castrating them would be much of a problem at one year . I man up the road from me got castrated a few years back and he was in his mid twenties to thirty years old and as far as i know he got over it pretty quick. His Gonads set in a jar of alcohol on the sheriff's desk for months. Surely it won't set a calf back too much.

Thanks, if it really doesn't matter if we castrate them or not, then at this point in time I will not have it done.

Yesterday at the fat cattle auction, pen mates one was still a bull one not, same breed, steer weighed 1492# bull 1401# steer brought $101, bull brought $77. In this area it would be worth your time and risk to castrate, maybe there is no difference in your area.

Latest posts