Castration age???

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What is the recomended age for a bull calf to be castrated. We have 5 calves that are 2 weeks old and would like to try banding. We have never done it that way and could use some advice. Thanks

[email protected]

> What is the recomended age for a
> bull calf to be castrated. We have
> 5 calves that are 2 weeks old and
> would like to try banding. We have
> never done it that way and could
> use some advice. Thanks i personally like banding i have smaller herd and can handle each calf when they are small.. i do mine when they are just a few days old. make sure that the testicles are in the sac when you put the band on and do not put the band all the way up against the stomach. about an 1/2 inch or so down. it is clean an bloodless. there is a lot less stress on both of you. i also ear tag and treat the naval cord. you can also band the calves at weaning now i have afriend who has started doing this and is sold on it but you have to restrain and work them. it works very well too i bought some of his steers last year and they were good.

[email protected]

The key is to count to two after you have applied the band. If you can't count both, cut the band off and start over. We band all the calves at the same time. They range from a couple of weeks to a month and a half or two.

dun

> What is the recomended age for a
> bull calf to be castrated. We have
> 5 calves that are 2 weeks old and
> would like to try banding. We have
> never done it that way and could
> use some advice. Thanks

Latest posts