Castrating ?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What are the pros and cons between knife cutting or banding? Just curious some guys around me won't band anything. Was wondering if there was a reason to justify this.

[email protected]

> What are the pros and cons between
> knife cutting or banding? Just
> curious some guys around me won't
> band anything. Was wondering if
> there was a reason to justify
> this. I THINK IT IS HARDER ON THEM WHEN YOU BAND

[email protected]

banding is riskier to miss a testicle, a knife is a sure thing. i like banding when they are a week old or less ad i have had good luck so far. o know alot of people who won't use it either.

[email protected]

Some fair associations will not accept a steer if they suspect it was castrated with a band. I suspect ist is because some of the necrosis of the tissue below the band, is suspected of infusing toxins into the blood stream.

The best and nearly bloodless method we use requires a VERY sharp knife and an emasculation tool, which has 2 crushing blades and a knife, below the crushing blades. I cut the bottom of the sack, remove tissue with fingers up to the neck of the testicle then cut at the narrow part of the neck, hold the emasculator for 10 seconds each, before removal, calf jumps up, and does not know any different, if you want to get crazy you can spray with Furox, or fly control, but calf will heal quickly, with no risk of blood loss.

[email protected]

For the short term, banding will have the advantage of the steer not going off feed and you will have an advantage in weight gain. But after a couple months the cut steer will have caught up and in the long run may end up a little ahead. Banding is much easier on the animal and is probably a little easier and faster to perform. Of course diehard knife cut people will tell you differently, but from seeing alot of both ways, that is my opinion. From what I can tell, most of the reasons I hear against banding is basically because "Dad and Grandpa never did it that way." Personally I really don't have a strong preference either way, although I mostly band now just for the ease of it.

After banding a week old calf, I soon forgot about the aggravation of cutting. I have noticed absolutely no difference since doing it. Occasionally a calf will get skipped and I cut him later. Again, no difference. Banding a very young calf seems to have zero effect on it. Either way is fine, I suppose. That's what I think anyway. Good luck.

Duncan

> What are the pros and cons between
> knife cutting or banding? Just
> curious some guys around me won't
> band anything. Was wondering if
> there was a reason to justify
> this.

[email protected]

Latest posts