castrating question

Help Support CattleToday:

NCSU Maverick

Reaction score
For those who cut their calves, how many of you pull the nut straight out and how many of you cut the first layer of "membrane" from around the nut. I hope this makes sense. We have always sliced the "membrane" and then pulled the nut out but I've seen it done by just pulling the nut straight out. What is the advantage one way or the other?

I never knew but one way to do it and I only did small calves, I would let someone who knew what they were doing cut the big ones. On the small ones I cut the bottom of the sack, then squeezed them down then got on the topside and pulled down some more then cut them off :cry2:

I never knew but one way to do it and I only did small calves, I would let someone who knew what they were doing cut the big ones. On the small ones I cut the bottom of the sack, then squeezed them down then got on the topside and pulled down some more then cut them off

Yeah, what I am talking about is after you cut the end off and the nuts are in exposed. We have always sliced what I call the "membrane" that is around each nut and it pops on out and then you slowly pull the nut out so as not to break the cord off too short. Some people just pull the nuts straight out without slicing the membrane. I just wondered what was better. I assume the cord is less likely to break off short if the membrane is sliced but this may not be the case. That is just the way we have always done it.

the way I was taught yrs ago and it was the same way the vet I worked for did it also was to cut bottom 1/3 off of sack pull nuts down then strip all the fatty tissue off of the cords and I also pull down on the cord till you feel a snap then cut it

we always called it stripping the cords you do this by taking your thumb and finger and running them down the cord the only difference than the way I was taught was the vet would use a desk stapler and staple the cords before we cut them off to help with bleeding

and I cut 500lb calves with no problem

NCSU Maverick, I do just as you describe. I cut the bottom, slice the membrane and pull as long a cord as I can. Wrap the cord around my finger if I can. The longer the cord before it breaks the less bleeding I think. I cut calves up to 800 lb with no problem. Just the way I was taught and see no reason to change.
I so most of mine at birth but buy some bull calves so there is always some to do.

My vet insisits that we cut the bottom 1/3 as described then pull the cords rather than cut until they come out. He feels that it causes less bleeding.

My vet insisits that we cut the bottom 1/3 as described then pull the cords rather than cut until they come out. He feels that it causes less bleeding.
Yes, but I'm not talking about cutting the cord. We just cut the membrane and then pull the cord until it breaks and pulls out. Basically no blood at all.

When you say membrane are you meaning the scrotum? If so this is exactly how we do it. No other cutting other than the scrotum itself.

No, I'm talking about the outer membrane around each testicle. After you cut the scrotum, and the testicles are visible, some people just pull them straight out but we have always sliced the outer membrane and then pull the testicle out. We dont cut the cord, all we do is basically touch the knife to the testicle and and the nut pops through what I'm calling a membrane and then you just pull the nut until the cord breaks. Usually about ten or so inches of cord. I'm just wondering if there is an advantage to either way.

Latest posts