Castrating alone

Help Support CattleToday:

i do them between 3-500 lbs used lasso & then put another rope around hind feet & stretch them out on their side, now i use a calf table & cut bottom of sack off & pull nuts real easy by yourself

I have a RAU immobilizer. Works wonders for working cattle by myself. This type does not have a lip clamp, just the anal probe. Just hang the recharable unit on the chute and insert probe and animal is immobilized. Works great for about anything. First llama I had castrated, I paid 175 for the vet to do it. Since then, I have used the immobilizer and it takes about a minute and finished. So, it isn't just for cattle.

I asked this question in a different thread. You just cut the bottom 1/3 of scrotum & pull the nuts out - without taking the outside membrane off the nuts? That would be soooo much easier. How old can you get away with doing it that way?
I'm pretty sure I could do it - I normally tailed while hubby cut - but he took the time to remove the outer membrane. Question would be am I strong enough to pull them out? Is it hard? I would think up to 1 month old should be pretty easy.

Jeanne besides keeping the calf still there isn't any requirement for strength. Just cut, strip, pull.
I personally know its a little daunting, but once you do it its no big deal. Try not to over think it or worry bout it too much. Like Nike, just do it

After making the cut, I take one hand and reach to the base of the sac and squeeze while pulling down. The nuts will come out of the opening in the bottom as pretty as you please - most of the time the membrane will have already been cut. I then take the other hand and grasp one nut with the attaching cords etc between my index finger and thumb and pull sharply and fast. This will stretch the cords making them seal up like an umbilical cord. You can do them pretty large this way but the bigger they are the more you need to pay attention to the signs. IMO, the calves seem to heal faster doing it this way than with banding.

hooknline":1azzxrsk said:
Jeanne besides keeping the calf still there isn't any requirement for strength. Just cut, strip, pull.
I personally know its a little daunting, but once you do it its no big deal. Try not to over think it or worry bout it too much. Like Nike, just do it
What do you mean "strip"?

The cords from the teste to the penis, run your fingernail or the back of a knife up and down them 2 or 3 times quick. Seems to seal them a little more right before you break them.

jeanne, after you cut bottom of sack off, testes should slide out with alittle pressure above, when you grip testes to pull, you may have to push outside skin up as some are slightly attached to the outside skin. then just pull, they snap the cord easily

We have an RAU immobilizer like Stocky - anyone who needs to work stock on their own should invest in one of these little beauties. We don't need to use it for cutting small calves, but its great for cutting or banding half-grown or grown males in the crush (chute).
We use a cradle (calf table) to cut all our smaller (and some really way too big!) calves, manned by two people. However, I know people use them on their own by having a post set in the ground at an angle out from the back of the cradle. They catch and throw the calf down and then, using a rope with one end fastened back to the chute behind the cradle, flick a turn around the calf's back leg and then tie it back to the post. My job at branding is always to catch the back leg of the bull calves and hang off the rope - I estimate I wouldve backlegged many thousands of mainly charolais calves over the years, without being kicked once - time I retired while my luck holds!

Latest posts