Castrating a bull

Help Support CattleToday:

tcolvin

Reaction score
I agree with tha casteration of a bull calf but I've never done that. I need some schooling as to when is best and if it can be done on a 7 month old bull calf. Is it too late in year because of flies. Also do you put him in the headgate or what. What type casterater is best?

I prefer a knife as well for anything more than a few days old. A person can cut 7 month old calves, but I recommend learning how to do it on some smaller ones until you're comfortable with it. If you've got a neighbor or friend who knows what they're doing you can ask them to show you, or pay a vet to come out and teach you. Yes, you'll need a good headgate and some help.

I prefer doing the job on a still wet calf at birth, and banding it.

But you can cut a 7 month old calf easily enough. I've seen people cut the bottom of the scrotum off and squeeze each testicle down until you can get a good grip to stretch it. Then use the knife to scrape the attachment, fraying it so it won't bleed as much. I prefer slicing the back of the scrotum but in hot weather slicing the bottom off may be better.

You can also clamp the vas deferens and blood vessels, and your vet probably has the tool. I know vets that loan them to their customers. No blood, no fly problems, and easy to use if you can immobilize the calf. It's just like using a bolt cutter.

I prefer doing the job on a still wet calf at birth, and banding it.

But you can cut a 7 month old calf easily enough. I've seen people cut the bottom of the scrotum off and squeeze each testicle down until you can get a good grip to stretch it. Then use the knife to scrape the attachment, fraying it so it won't bleed as much. I prefer slicing the back of the scrotum but in hot weather slicing the bottom off may be better.

You can also clamp the vas deferens and blood vessels, and your vet probably has the tool. I know vets that loan them to their customers. No blood, no fly problems, and easy to use if you can immobilize the calf. It's just like using a bolt cutter.
Cutting the bottom off is the correct way to do cattle, about a third of the way up. Stretch it til it breaks or if it is particularly thick and tough you can scrape it but make sure it is stretched down first. Never been around an emasculator so can't help you there.

We did 40 fall calves today. B had told me there was some 600 pound bulls. Well there was a couple who will tip the scale at 700. Sharp knife. Cut off the bottom third of the sack. Pull down on the nut cord breaks off. There will be a small dangling cord left. Wrap it around your finger, stretch it as far as you can and cut it off. Spray liberally with fly spray. Personally I don't like to cut them on or near a full moon. They seem to bleed more then.

All the reply's are from experienced cattlemen... I will say that I prefer to use a large bander... we use the callicrate, and we have had very very good experiences with it. No muss, no fuss and they are back to eating inside of an hour or less once it cuts off the circulation which causes the pain. No fly problems... we follow the recommendations for tetanus shots... We keep them around the barn lot for about a week and will run them through the chute to check and make sure they are cold so no circulation. Often we will cut it off below the band at a week or so, just because of not wanting them to smell in the heat. We buy alot of 450-700 wt bull calves to make up groups and sell in larger uniform lots.
They will bleed more close to the full moon. That is not hokey... or old wives tales... the best time to cut is when it is going from the 3rd quarter to the new moon. Even a vet told me that he followed that procedure because he had done alot of note taking and found that to be the best time... and I have heard that from alot of "old timers"... especially about cutting pigs... always do them on the waning moon... when the signs are going from the thighs down... less bleeding.
If you only have the one I would get a vet to do it if you are not comfortable doing it yourself. Worth the vet call rather than a dead animal.
And yes, definitely restrained in a head catch/chute.

I had one close to that size that I had banded. I'm not sure the name, since it was a friend that did it. I would not cut one unless you know what you're doing, or have someone over your shoulder that does.

EZE Castrator. I've been using it since about 1998 and never had it fail. Quick, easy and works.

You can castrate a calf this big - but - in the future you will be a lot better off to band them within a few days of birth. Banding is the recommended way up to 3 months of age. Yes, there are some GREAT banders for full grown bulls, but, all research will tell you the animal will do better all the way to the finished product of a hanging carcass is you band before 3 months of age.
Remember, you need to give recommended tetanus shots if banded over couple days old.

We band everything anymore. Our vets prefer it. Recently banded some yearling bulls that weighed 900-1100 lbs. Used a Callicrate banded. Many of the cutter bull buyers in this area use a bander. My vets use a California bander. Even the big bulls never miss a beat when using a bander. I've been told by vets and the cutter bull buyers to never slit the bag. We don't and have never had any issue. On the bigger bulls we give both a tetanus antitoxin shot and an 8 way shot. We use smaller bands on the smaller calves.

We did 40 fall calves today. B had told me there was some 600 pound bulls. Well there was a couple who will tip the scale at 700. Sharp knife. Cut off the bottom third of the sack. Pull down on the nut cord breaks off. There will be a small dangling cord left. Wrap it around your finger, stretch it as far as you can and cut it off. Spray liberally with fly spray. Personally I don't like to cut them on or near a full moon. They seem to bleed more then.
How do you restrain them? I have a chute and head gate but no squeeze chute. Do they kick and buck much. Do you cut from behind the calf or the side of calf? I'm sure I'll learn as I go but don't want to get kicked. I have a 2x6 board that I place in rear of grown cows to prevent kicking but I'll have to move it up for calves because they are shorter. I just don't won't to be kicked. Thanks for helping me to understand the safe way. Also would the blue kote work for spraying?

How do you restrain them? I have a chute and head gate but no squeeze chute. Do they kick and buck much. Do you cut from behind the calf or the side of calf? I'm sure I'll learn as I go but don't want to get kicked. I have a 2x6 board that I place in rear of grown cows to prevent kicking but I'll have to move it up for calves because they are shorter. I just don't won't to be kicked. Thanks for helping me to understand the safe way. Also would the blue kote work for spraying?
You work from directly behind the calf. They kick out to the side. And you get someone to hold the tail up hard enough that it keeps them from kicking.

Small calves you throw on the ground and sit or kneel on their head.

Have some one lift on the tail. I have done it with a 10-12 year old kid lifting on the tail. If the calf kicks they aren't lifting hard enough. I have cut them from behind and the side. I have a squeeze chute but I don't really squeeze them tight. That will cause the legs to be closer together limiting your access. I have done a lot of them in a wooden chute with a head gate, no squeeze and from behind. I have done a lot with their head tied to a post in the corral. An adult on the tail leaning against them to the corral side. Make sure you have a very sharp knife. Blue Coat would be good but I don't know how good it is as a fly repellent.

Latest posts