castrate or keep????

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerD44

Reaction score
What do u all think of this Gridmaker calf??? born on Feb. 28th 75lb. birthweight. first photo taken in july, last photo taken last week. I don't think we will keep him as his pedigree is kinda messed up- just curious what u all thought his potential was looks wise. He is deep and thick but i am kinda wondering about the lack of hind quarter- although the grass has been short since july and no creep.

000_0429.jpg
[/img]

100_0110.jpg
[/img]

Will make a great steer project for you or your kids or whom ever. Steer that calf, not enough performance in tha calf to keep him a bull. Gridmaker is a great bull, but this bull calf isn't even close to the Gridamkers I have seen before.

Steer him 100%.

THG

I'd say cut him. He doesn't seem to possess the qualities and look (phenotype) of a potential bull...but how many do? Make him a steer, let him bring you good money that way.

EC

THG":1rm80d2f said:
Will make a great steer project for you or your kids or whom ever. Steer that calf, not enough performance in tha calf to keep him a bull. Gridmaker is a great bull, but this bull calf isn't even close to the Gridamkers I have seen before.

Steer him 100%.

THG

Where does the post mention weights? My eyes are getting blurried. How can you say not enough performance?

Don't kid yourself, GM calves need nutrition constantly and this would prove it.

that calf is small in the pics.id say he weighed 300lbs in july.id like to see what he would look like with 60 days of feed in him.but i to agree he would be better as a steer.he just dont look like a herd bull to me.ive got a calf born the same time as him.an not tobe bragging or anything but he wouldve weighed 450lbs or more in july.an prolly tipps the scales at 700lbs or better now.but in all my fairness my calf is a reg beefmaster bull calf.

yeah, I am not planning on keeping him anyways- like i said his pedigree is messed up. If SEC knew what was on the dams side he would really chew a hole in my arse :lol: I have a couple of small local seedstock suppliers that i will be checking out next month- i am sure they will have something better and i can get them fairly cheap. I already know they are using good bloodlines for making cows- just have to see how they look and agree on a price if i like them.

Dan.

Latest posts