Castrate butchered bulls?

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
A neighbor just stopped by, and I asked about his steers that I had hauled to the locker.
Some how the conversation turned to butchering mature bulls that had been injured out on pasture. My neighbor said (he's an older guy) that you shoot them, cut there throat, and castrate them before you hang them. That way you won't get a strong bully flavor in the meat.
Has anyone else ever heard this? Is it true or just an old tale?

I've never heard that. I would think castrating them at that point would've a waste of time and effort. My opinion if one was going to go to the trouble of castrating one it should be done well in advance of slaughter for any affect that it might have.
We sometimes will fatten and have a young bull around 15 or a little more months old processed. At that age I don't think there is much difference.

Our local locker does on the farm butchering. Several times a year they do emergency butchering jobs on mature herd bulls that get injured breeding cows.

If the heart isn't beating, then blood isn't flowing.

SDM said:
If the heart isn't beating, then blood isn't flowing.

Yep you got it. A good butcher just knocks the animal brain dead, that way there heart is still going to pump the blood out when they cut its throat and hang it.

Latest posts