Cash Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

When I was running the BBQ restaurant I did my best to always pay for deliveries in cash because my commercial account had a per check fee attached. That caused me to always carry a wad of money and a 9mm.

jltrent said:
When I worked in a bank it was not that uncommon to get a large amount of cash. Anything over $10000 as it had to be $10001 we had to do a Currency transaction report (that same day if you made multiple cash deposits at several of the same bank branches the computer would alert us that a Currency transaction report had to be completed. This info goes straight to the Government as if I make a cash deposit I make sure it is $10000 not $10001.

Those case knives if never been sharpened in new condition are super high as I bet you sold them to cheap. One lick on a sharpening stone and they are half price.

Back in the day we would do a Currency Transaction Alert for anyone that regularly deposited any amount between $9K - $10K in cash after their first CTR and thought they were outsmarting the bank. ;-)

TCRanch said:
jltrent said:
When I worked in a bank it was not that uncommon to get a large amount of cash. Anything over $10000 as it had to be $10001 we had to do a Currency transaction report (that same day if you made multiple cash deposits at several of the same bank branches the computer would alert us that a Currency transaction report had to be completed. This info goes straight to the Government as if I make a cash deposit I make sure it is $10000 not $10001.

Those case knives if never been sharpened in new condition are super high as I bet you sold them to cheap. One lick on a sharpening stone and they are half price.

Back in the day we would do a Currency Transaction Alert for anyone that regularly deposited any amount between $9K - $10K in cash after their first CTR and thought they were outsmarting the bank. ;-)
I can't remember everything as it has been a few years, but I believe even though it didn't meet the $10001 if we as employees suspected something fishy we were suppose to go ahead and fill out the report. I worked another job for many years after the banking experience and figured one day might work in another bank. Most people think working in a bank is a pie job with bankers hours as IMO it was probably the hardest job I ever worked including farming.

The few times I've taken cash to the bank after selling hay, they ask what I sold. Like it's any of their business! Next time I'm telling them children. See how that goes.
Had that happen to me one selling a few cattle. Was surprised because it was less than 10k but over 5k. Didnt normally do cash and I guess going to my nearest branch instead of my normal threw them off bc they asked what I did for living and where did I get the cash? Thought it was intrusive and odd.

What happened to Bright Raven? Learned a lot from his posts.
He poked the bear one to many times. Matter of fact he poked several bears.

Don't poke the bear.....

00L2RjQ.gif

44f4c1f513ae706175e1e678b7b57769.jpeg

Last edited:
If you want to talk about cash, our local scrap yard has to keep mountains of it on hand. Hard telling how much they keep. They bought a bunch of parted out cars from a local auto salvage about 10-12 years ago. Legend is he too $250K to the bank in cash. He kept lots of cashon hand for that business too.

I want to be behind one of those armored cars that the back doors fly open and bags of greenbacks fall out. Happens with regularity.
Kind of happened at Wayne City, 30 minutes west of me. The Brinks truck left a duffle on the ground, a couple guys picked it up and took it with them. They're up on felony charges. I don't know that the guys had bad intentions necessarily, just had their heads stuck up their rears. You find something like that laying in a bank parking lot, take it in.

So hopefully you can cover whatever the IRS discovers you received or they'll tell you how much cash you made.

What happened to Bright Raven? Learned a lot from his posts.
It's too bad he's gone, in my opinion. He liked to post on some controversial subjects which was taboo at the time. Under the current format I think he would be fine as long he kept the controversial stuff in the right forum.

Latest posts