Cash Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Sold a complete Case Knife collection this morning. I had each, uncirculated knife out, with Model number, year of manufacture, number of dots, special features. etc. etc. I priced them individually and as a total collection. This was a private transaction. The guy certainly knew his Case knives. He only spent 15 minutes looking at individual knives. He stated how impressed he was with their condition. He counted the number of knives. Thought for about 30 seconds. Reached in his pocket and started counting out 100 dollar bills in stacks of $1000.00. Amazing in this area how many people complete transactions in cash. I took the money directly to US Bank. I told the teller I just completed a drug deal. She laughed and said I would be surprised how often she gets that much cash.

If you want to see a bunch of $100 bills, go stand by the moneygram counter at Walmart any Friday afternoon and Sat morning. Mexico bound...

callmefence said:
Can you do anything with a bucket full of worn out and broken trappers?

Nope. Condition is everything. I handled mine with gloves. Case knives are the most collected knives in the World. I had several of the Trappers.

When I worked in a bank it was not that uncommon to get a large amount of cash. Anything over $10000 as it had to be $10001 we had to do a Currency transaction report (that same day if you made multiple cash deposits at several of the same bank branches the computer would alert us that a Currency transaction report had to be completed. This info goes straight to the Government as if I make a cash deposit I make sure it is $10000 not $10001.

Those case knives if never been sharpened in new condition are super high as I bet you sold them to cheap. One lick on a sharpening stone and they are half price.

jltrent said:
When I worked in a bank it was not that uncommon to get a large amount of cash. Anything over $10000 as it had to be $10001 we had to do a Currency transaction report (that same day if you made multiple cash deposits at several of the same bank branches the computer would alert us that a Currency transaction report had to be completed. This info goes straight to the Government as if I make a cash deposit I make sure it is $10000 not $10001.

Those case knives if never been sharpened in new condition are super high as I bet you sold them to cheap. One lick on a sharpening stone and they are half price.

These had never seen a stone. They had probably had the blades pulled out less that 10 times. I suspect you are correct. He decided quickly and never made anything but a full price offer.

greybeard said:
If you want to see a bunch of $100 bills, go stand by the moneygram counter at Walmart any Friday afternoon and Sat morning. Mexico bound...

I bet it would be a lot as the bank I was a branch manager at we had a couple Supermarket accounts as one had big sales. At the first of the month and mid month I had 1/2 million dollars cash in my car trunk many times straight off the armored Well Fargo truck. It was in lead strapped locked bags and had to be double verified at the branch before issued.

Seriously, guns and knives are almost always cash. We bought $65,000 worth cash at Tulsa Oklahoma this winter and was a medium buyer. Cash is still king.

jltrent said:

I'd back up way more than that on large cash deposits these days JL. Those walls have eyes.

I bought a huge collection of kabars, case, shrade, blah blah blah, old knives, handmade knives at a garage sale a few years ago, sold a cigar box of the junk that was in there for the purchase price. But I'll tell you, going through those knives gave me a pretty good insight to the guy that collected them, and I still have them, maybe someone will do that someday for me. Knives are a joy , no matter how much they are worth, but the ones that are worth more, bring more joy.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
kenny thomas said:
Seriously, guns and knives are almost always cash. We bought $65,000 worth cash at Tulsa Oklahoma this winter and was a medium buyer. Cash is still king.

In the underground economy.
The underground economy might be the most honest economy around. Cash is king!!!!

kenny thomas said:

I was concerned that my son would sell them for a penny on the dollar. He simply has too many irons on the fire. I would like to leave as little for him to worry about as I can.

I want to be behind one of those armored cars that the back doors fly open and bags of greenbacks fall out. Happens with regularity.

kenny thomas said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
kenny thomas said:

In the underground economy.
The underground economy might be the most honest economy around. Cash is king!!!!

Spoken like a true bootlegger.

I have a friend who back when $1,000 bills were in circulation would use them. Someone would have something advertised for like $20,000 he would slowly pull out those $1,000 bills one at a time. Once he got up there a ways he slowed the rate at which he pulled them out. Look like he was pondering his next move. Rock back and fold his arms. Even fake like he was picking them up. He never verbally offered less than they wanted. Just quietly pulled out those big bills. He said it was amazing how many people grabbed up those bills long before he had reached their price or his limit.

I'm always amazed at the wads of cash the pen hookers at the local stockyard carry around with them. They can buy a trailer load of cows, pay for it with 100s, and still have plenty left for the next load that comes through they can buy. It's their daily/weekly routine, but I sure wouldn't like carrying that kind of cash on me that often for long.

Latest posts