Case IH 585 hard to start

Help Support CattleToday:

TXBobcat

Reaction score
We recently took a Case IH 585 tractor in to have a leaking injection pump fixed. We took the whole tractor to a shop that specializes in diesel injection repair. They removed the injection pump, repaired , and reinstalled, so they do all the timing work. Now that we have the tractor back it seems harder to start than normal. The last few times I have used it, I have to carnk it several times and it blows a lot of grayish/white smoke before it will start. After it starts and idles a couple of minutes, it seems to run fine with normal power. Tractor has around 750 hrs on it.

Any ideas on why the hard starting and white smoke?

The only time I've had white smoke is when there was water in the fuel. Sometimes the filter somtimes the tank. I would think that possibly some could pool a bit inthe fuel lines if there is any at all in the fuel.

TXBobcat":6npu357a said:
We recently took a Case IH 585 tractor in to have a leaking injection pump fixed. We took the whole tractor to a shop that specializes in diesel injection repair. They removed the injection pump, repaired , and reinstalled, so they do all the timing work. Now that we have the tractor back it seems harder to start than normal. The last few times I have used it, I have to carnk it several times and it blows a lot of grayish/white smoke before it will start. After it starts and idles a couple of minutes, it seems to run fine with normal power. Tractor has around 750 hrs on it.

Timing is off on the injection pump I would take it back to the shop and let them lick that calf over

TXBobcat":3k4006fq said:

As previously state timing or it is getting air into the system . Make sure filter and fitting are tight if so back to the shop to redo.

I would agree on the timing, I've had pumps come back supposedly fixed that had to go back for another attempt too .

Larry

Latest posts