Case 7120 Magnum

Help Support CattleToday:

C-Ranch

Reaction score
I have been looking at several different tractors to help take the work load off my other tractor. I am not color blind, so have been looking at everything. Currently I stumbled onto a 1989 Case 7120 Magnum MFWD. Does any have experience with this model? Is so, what's the good, bad, and the ugly? This tractor has turned over so it at 16,500 hrs on it which does concern me. However, the motor has been completely gone through from top to bottom, to include a new turbo and has around 800hrs on rebuild. Always stored inside, and was repainted about 6yrs ago. Is there anything I should be concerned about with it being high hours? How are the transmissions? If anyone has one please chime in. I've made an appointment to go see it on Saturday, so looking for items to look closely at. Oh and for full disclosure, they are asking $31k for it.

I have a 7130 2wd. Good tractors. There's a lot of magnums around here and I've never heard much bad.

Rarely do they have to touch the transmissions but 16500 is a lot of hours. I know of one on a 7120 that had to be rebuilt and it is expensive but what ain't these days.

The only knock I have is the blower fan doesn't put out enough air for my taste. You won't die from heat stroke but I like to feel the breeze even in a cab tractor but there's ways to fix that too. All around good and solid tractors. They'll probably bury me in mine.

I am going to call the case dealer today and ask about the cost of rebuilding the transmission since I'm guessing it hasn't been opened up and some day I'm sure it will need some work.

Does it have both 540 and 1000 pto? Some of the 71xx series were 1000 only.

Pretty bulletproof tractors but those hours it would have to be dirt cheap for me to bite. Even the most bulletproof equipment wears out over time and 16,500 hours is quite a bit.

Going from distant memories here, but on the right side of the transmission behind the filter is the transmission serial number. I was once told that serial numbers like ~40,000 to ~50,000 were the best. Not sure why but they were.

There are some nitrogen accumulators for the transmission that when bad can cause shifting issues iirc.

Better be sitting down when the dealer tells you a rebuild price. I'd guess 20k+ parts and labor.

I'd say Tahoe is most likely right about the rebuild. I'm pretty leery of anything over 5-6000 hours but anything's a crap shoot sometimes even new equipment.

I'd say Tahoe is most likely right about the rebuild. I'm pretty leery of anything over 5-6000 hours but anything's a crap shoot sometimes even new equipment.

5-6000 is just getting broke in.

16,000 is way up there though. That's a ton of hours, and the price should reflect it.

Motors are cheap compared to powershift transmissions.

5-6000 is just getting broke in.

16,000 is way up there though. That's a ton of hours, and the price should reflect it.

Motors are cheap compared to powershift transmissions.
I hope you're right. My 7130 just broke 5000 this spring. I put around 100 hours a year on it. Me and the old girl have a long way to go hopefully.

Those have the 8.3 cummins in them so parts and service for that is "cheap" and easy.

I don't work on much red equipment but I know it doesn't take long to get 10-15k in parts alone real quick, then labor on top of that.

Very good friend of mine has several of these tractors not sure about that exact model though. He swears by them and is diesel mechanic by trade. He sees very little transmission issues out of them even with the hours you are talking. That being said 16k hours is a bunch. If the rebuild is really fresh and went together tight it is worth what the rebuild is and what the tires on it are worth. Plus maybe a small premium if the body itself is in great shape. Would have to be really well kept to get over $30k on it IMO.

Does it have both 540 and 1000 pto? Some of the 71xx series were 1000 only.

Pretty bulletproof tractors but those hours it would have to be dirt cheap for me to bite. Even the most bulletproof equipment wears out over time and 16,500 hours is quite a bit.

Going from distant memories here, but on the right side of the transmission behind the filter is the transmission serial number. I was once told that serial numbers like ~40,000 to ~50,000 were the best. Not sure why but they were.

There are some nitrogen accumulators for the transmission that when bad can cause shifting issues iirc.

Better be sitting down when the dealer tells you a rebuild price. I'd guess 20k+ parts and labor.
It has both 540 and 1000 PTO. They guy that has the tractor just checked the accumulators and they were low (50lbs) so he charged them to 130. I know this was done because I showed as he was doing it. I guess he was a case Tech for 25yrs so knows his way around the equipment pretty well. He also replaced the flex plate. I did talk with a tractor salvage place today and was told if the tractor is complete and only the trans is bad, I'd probably could get around $25k for it. Listed price is $31k I offered $25k and was told no way. There were 3 other guys there also looking it over, when I left, so maybe it's it's been sold idk...will look again when I go to town next.

Last edited:
Pretty sharp tractor for the age. I'd say if it's been well maintained and apparently it has it's worth the money.

A good coat of paint can make old look new again....
Yeah the paint is definitely better than what original came from the factory. On the paper work I saw it was painted in 2011, so yes still looks good for a 11yr old paint job. Being stored inside has played a big factor I'm sure. Looking on Tractor House there are quite a few same model year from $33k to $ 64k so apparently they are still bringing top dollar.

It looks like its got a bit of grunt. Did you buy it?

Ken
No there was a lot of interest in it so ended going for more than I was willing to pay unfortunately. I think it would have been a decent tractor. But, anything used is a gamble. I just like the older stuff because it doesn't have all the electronic or the DEF on them. My newer stuff has the crap and just fearing when something goes wrong. Already got folks saying that I need to stock up on DeF because it's going to become hard to get come this fall.

Latest posts