Case 585 - transmission

Help Support CattleToday:

TXBobcat

Reaction score
We have a 80's model Case 585 tractor and it is recently having transmission issues. When you put it in gear and release clutch, it is slow to take off. Worse in High range than Low, and especially bad on any type of incline. It will sit still with egine revved to 1500-2000 RPMs, then it's like it is building pressure, then slowly takes off.

Transmission has a High/Low range with 1,2,3,4 in each. Fluid has been pretty much changed since a couple of lines were broken recently causing most of the fluid to drain out. I also changed the trans filter and cleaned the screen.

Just wondering if trans is going out, or somehow trash got in there stopping something up and fluid needs to be completely drained again, etc. Also, if anyone can recommend a good tractor repair person in the Waco, Tx area, for this type of issue, please let me know.

I am reading this to be a conventional 4 forward speed manual shift transmission with a high low capability. If I am correct then the problem is with the clutch. Either the face is worn off the clutch disc or the pressure plated is shot. If this a powershift disregard my reply.

Yeh if its manual try dropping the revs to idle and see if it catches any faster. If your revving and not going anywhere then slow the revs suddenly a slipping clutch often grabs.

Automatic style would be interesting cause most I know its like one impeller speeding up in a bath of fluid and as the fluid starts to move it encourages another stationary impeller to start moving too. Some have little valves that come out too so auto might be a bit hard to fix and expensive as I have seen. The auto transmission guys know they have got you foxed so you can get stung for a few thousand real quick.

Yes, it is the conventional 4 forward speed manual shift transmission. Also, I do seem to notice when I slow the revvs it does seem to grab and take off a little better. So, guess it could be the clutch.

TXBobcat
You now need to determine if there is any freeplay in the clutch linkage. Using your hand start depressing the clutch pedal. The linkage, if adjusted properly, should permit the pedal to move downward about an inch and then you should feel some resistance to further travel. If there is no permitted easy downward movement then adjust the clutch to where there is some. This could be all that is wrong with the tractor. Good luck.

I have a IH 684, it has the same transmission.
The clutch started slipping the same way you described yours.
When you have the clutch replaced be sure and get a heavy duty one.
They make a standard duty and a heavy duty replacements.
From experience the standard one don't last.

Latest posts