case 5130 problem

Help Support CattleToday:

gitnby

Reaction score
was rolling hay last summer..when finished pto on tractor was so hot couldnt touch it.........replaced short shaft on front of baler...no change....i hooked up to 16 ft bushog and cliped 12 acrs...didnt get hot...i checked pto shaft for play ..didnt have any..i changed hydro oil and filter......have been feeding hay every day this winter with it..no problems.. yesterday coming back to barn took it out of 2 high and put in 3low...wouldnt move.iturned tractor off,waited 30 seconds...started tractor and it went on.......could hydro pump be going down...pto clutches? any help or advise is appreciated

I'm not familiar with this tractor. Does it have a trans temp gauge? Is the oil running hotter than normal? An independent pto should not have anything to do with tranny not operating correctly.
Does it have a trans oil cooler? How dirty is it?
Does it have only one pto shaft or are the 540 and 1000 stacked like an IH?
My first guess would be check hydro oil level (I know it sounds stupid), eliminate the easy stuff first.
Check the cooler. After that talk to someone about the pump. Sounds like something is heating the oil and causing the problems.

Last edited:
Not knowing the tractor, my guess would be the oil cooler. Baling creates a lot of fine dust which can clog the radiator & oil cooler. I clean those out each time I finish baling. Starting and stopping while baling also creates more heat. Shredding not so much since you don't start and stop all the time.

Those tractors have pretty common issues with the shift solenoids and pressure switches failing, often intermittently. Did the transmission light flash when it acted up?

We've got a 5240, have occasional issues like that, many times it will run hours without an issue, but occasionally when you hit a bump it will kick out of gear, shift to neutral and off you go again. 1st gear has also never really worked reliably in many years.

They are pretty good tractors, but the electrical on them is pretty well junk IMO.

There is only one pump on them, it may be hydraulic related, but the pump is probably not the issue if everything works strong at idle.

been trying to find someone to check pump.......shops are full...couple mechanics ive called wont show up.....must not need the money..

Those are good tractors. Hard to find these days too. Let us know what you find

Sounds like you might have high pressure while the hydraulic lever is in neutral, which is most of the time when baling. The pump has to force the relief open constantly and that creates a hot system after a while. Does the tractor have a single/double acting selector for the remotes?

double action for remotes......how could i tell ?

You can feel when the pump is running against the relief. Can hear the hiss and the engine pulling down.

If you hit the remote lever and don't feel it pull down when the cylinder completely extends/retracts, you have an issue.

What do you mean by the PTO was too hot? The PTO shaft or the housing on the tractor?

Sounds more to me that you have an issue with a pressure switch or solenoid, which is very common on those.

I don't think the hot PTO has anything to do with it, if the oil was getting hot you should have seen a warning light or had other issues with the steering and remotes.

p.s. does anyone know what the reservior under hood above steering colum is...it has 2 lines going to it ....apears to be sealed...it dosent have anything in it......thanks

p.s. does anyone know what the reservior under hood above steering colum is...it has 2 lines going to it ....apears to be sealed...it dosent have anything in it......thanks

Should be the brake reservoir.

Those tractors have regular hydraulic brakes, but the reservoir is sealed and pressure filled from the hydraulic system.

If you don't have any brakes, that is probably why.

was rolling hay last summer..when finished pto on tractor was so hot couldnt touch it.........replaced short shaft on front of baler...no change....i hooked up to 16 ft bushog and cliped 12 acrs...didnt get hot...i checked pto shaft for play ..didnt have any..i changed hydro oil and filter......have been feeding hay every day this winter with it..no problems.. yesterday coming back to barn took it out of 2 high and put in 3low...wouldnt move.iturned tractor off,waited 30 seconds...started tractor and it went on.......could hydro pump be going down...pto clutches? any help or advise is appreciated
Try over filling the hyd fluid won't hurt any thing. I have a 4230 that has about the same system and I was advised to overfill by a Case-IH mechanic and it helped..

i have brakes...thats what it looked like to me......what should i do about this ?

Well if you have brakes there has to be some fluid on there.

I am actually having the same issue, can bleed the brakes but the reservoir is empty after a couple days. Supposedly there is a standpipe in the drain hose that can slip down, and it can also be the O-rings in the brake cylinders. Not sure what the deal is on mine, don't really use that tractor in the winter and haven't had a chance to look at it.

Latest posts