Carport for hay storage?

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
I'm looking to reclaim my shed and add hay storage capacity for my small herd. I'm looking at building a three sided structure. My first thought was a pole barn, but after getting a couple quotes I'm thinking about going with a carport. I'm looking at a 20x24x9 with the sides and one end covered. I think I can get 4 rounds on the bottom row and three on the second row across the 20' width. I don't think my loader would reach another row, but I'm looking into it - if possible I would go higher. It, along with my current barn storage would give me enough space for the year. That carport with shipping and installation was around $3,500, less than half of a pole barn structure. I'm curious if anyone's using a carport currently and could give me any feedback.

I would look at just buying the pole barn kit and building yourself they are simple to put up here are some installed price from here.
AGRICULTURE POLE BARNS. BUILT ON YOUR SITE. 150 MPH WIND LOAD. FEATURING ALL TREATED 2X6'S, 6X6'S, GALVALUME ROOF. 24X24, $3795.00. 24X36, $5095.00. 24X48, $6495.00. 30X36, $6495.00. 30X48, $7995.00. 30X60, $9995.00. PRICES INCLUDE LABOR. CALL

What M-5 said. Plus, if you pyramid them up the ones on bottom might try to move and push out the sides of your barn. That isn't as likely to happen if you stand the bottom row on end.

So do just the end bales on the lower row need to be stood up on end, or the entire lower row?

Now that I reread that I'm guessing the entire lower row.

You might search on here about stacking it like a pyramid, and covering it with a hay tarp, or billboard sign. I put 50-60% of my hay under roof. The rest is stacked outside. I feed the outside hay first, and consider the loss to be minimal enough, to not justify storage. Your mileage may vary though.

We have one that's probably about the size your talking about. It works fine. Open on both ends. The hay sits in there just like you said. Four on bottom and three on top pyramid style. It never pushes out against the sides. We had it installed for about 1200 I think. We have it for about 10 years I think? I'm sure the price has gone up on them though. They are not as sturdy as you would want really. When the wind blows it does rock side to side. We have had to put a few more braces in to help make it stronger. It works fine for what it is but I don't think I would recommend it unless it's just the only thing you can afford.

That is only a very small area, your hay needs must not be high. You might be better off getting small square bales and you could better use the space and maybe even feed it out more efficiently.

Ken

wbvs58":1987n4g6 said:
That is only a very small area, your hay needs must not be high. You might be better off getting small square bales and you could better use the space and maybe even feed it out more efficiently.

Ken

this.

ddd75":328x6b3e said:
wbvs58":328x6b3e said:

Ken

this.

If his hay prices are similar to mine then the cost would be large. I can buy a 4x5 round bale of hay for about $35. Probably around 900 pounds. It would take 18 square bales at 50 pounds each to equal the same amount of hay. Square bale run $4-5 each. Comes to about $90 for the same amount of hay.

I only currently have 4 head and a horse so my hay needs are small. Good thing is the horse is moving to a new home in a couple weeks which opens another spot or two for heifers. I've tried to talk myself into tarping them outside, but I've got to deal with snow here in Michigan. I currently tarp my firewood for my outside boiler and that is a big enough PIA that it's convinced me not to do the same with the hay. And after having to deal with squares for the horse vs rounds and my Kubota, I'm not doing squares. I already have a shed and a barn on the property and I really don't want another structure to maintain nor the cost of installation. The carport looks like a good compromise that I can tuck out of the view of the house (for wifey) at a lower cost. A 20x24x9 with three sides covered with steel runs around $3,000, doesn't affect my property taxes and can be sold if I ever get out of the cattle business.

Craig Miller":3o8ngirk said:
We have one that's probably about the size your talking about. It works fine. Open on both ends. The hay sits in there just like you said. Four on bottom and three on top pyramid style. It never pushes out against the sides. We had it installed for about 1200 I think. We have it for about 10 years I think? I'm sure the price has gone up on them though. They are not as sturdy as you would want really. When the wind blows it does rock side to side. We have had to put a few more braces in to help make it stronger. It works fine for what it is but I don't think I would recommend it unless it's just the only thing you can afford.

How wide is yours? I'm trying to decide if 20' is wide enough for 4 in a row and being able to move around in there with my tractor loading and unloading them.

Anyone sell large squares in your area? I would think you could stack a good bit more. No one around here deals in them, so I'm just guessing.

i used one and its worked ok. i got 20x30 with 13' middle then added sides myself which i should have just ordered it with but anyway. i took board and put one the side so the hay would lean against that and not the metal siding (3 runs of that). it held around 60 4x4 rolls. stacked of course. i think i will do the same thing for a barn just longer. price isnt bad ive looked at one 20x50 with 2 sides and its 4400 i think and they put them up in bout 3 hours.

Latest posts