Caregiver resources needed

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
My Aunt passed unexpectedly on Friday. She was the sole caregiver of my 39 year old cousin who has Downs syndrome.

The family has spent 48 hours now looking for a will. Looking for anything with instructions on what to do.

We do not want her to go to a group home. Wiuld like for her to be able to stay in her home, which is paid for. But she needs 24/7 care. As of now, we've found nothing for life insurance or guidance.

I'm just wondering if any of you know of any resources, state or federal, which could assist us in keeping her in her home. Something to help pay for someone to be in the house with her.

All decisions have been left up to my parents and I. And it is overwhelming. So far, we think she had stopped paying her life insurance policy earlier in 2020. Its an awful situation.

We have been told by a neighbor who her lawyer may have been. We are hoping they have a copy of her will.

The entire family, including us, will die if she has to go to a group home. She been surrounded by love her whole life.

Any resources I could be pointed to would be fantastic. My father is taking this very hard. I'm trying to help. But I keep hitting a brick wall. Just the terminology alone makes this all so hard.

Looking for a supervised independent living situation. In her home. Which is paid for. But she seems to have no money left to her. Hopefully lawyer knows something.

I feel so bad for you and your family. My mother had a brother with Downs. He was in his 50's when my grandmother died. He was born when the parents were old. So, everyone here was pretty old. My mother had investigated options prior and found none other than a state group home which is obviously heartbreaking. My mother was too old and frail to take him. He was physically strong and not well behaved. She had a younger brother in his 60's who took him into his home for several years before his death. Life expectancy for Downs is short. There was a will and some property and some provisions in the will that contributed financially. But still a bad situation. It had already been a bad situation since my grandmother was around 90 when she died. I wish I had some helpful answers. I will pray for strength, comfort and wisdom.

I'm sorry for your loss, and I hope you're able to find a caretaker for your cousin. In the event that you cannot, don't be distraught about the prospect of a group home. Some of them are wonderful communities, a far cry from the old sanitariums.

I'm sorry for your loss and the dilemma you are in. One of my step daughters is a Respite Care Worker, but that is hourly and basically giving the primary caregiver time off. That said, you may want to look into local resources that provide Respite care or Mosaic (if you have one) for appropriate direction. And I agree that assisted living and group living have come a long way and can offer extraordinary care. Best of luck!
Who We Are | Mosaic (mosaicinfo.org)

My Aunt passed unexpectedly on Friday. She was the sole caregiver of my 39 year old cousin who has Downs syndrome.

The family has spent 48 hours now looking for a will. Looking for anything with instructions on what to do.

We do not want her to go to a group home. Wiuld like for her to be able to stay in her home, which is paid for. But she needs 24/7 care. As of now, we've found nothing for life insurance or guidance.

I'm just wondering if any of you know of any resources, state or federal, which could assist us in keeping her in her home. Something to help pay for someone to be in the house with her.

All decisions have been left up to my parents and I. And it is overwhelming. So far, we think she had stopped paying her life insurance policy earlier in 2020. Its an awful situation.

We have been told by a neighbor who her lawyer may have been. We are hoping they have a copy of her will.

The entire family, including us, will die if she has to go to a group home. She been surrounded by love her whole life.

Any resources I could be pointed to would be fantastic. My father is taking this very hard. I'm trying to help. But I keep hitting a brick wall. Just the terminology alone makes this all so hard.

Looking for a supervised independent living situation. In her home. Which is paid for. But she seems to have no money left to her. Hopefully lawyer knows something.
Send me a PM and I will try to walk you through it as best I can. There is a lot of unpack here.

Latest posts