Care to share a beef cut out list?

Help Support CattleToday:

ROCK-N-W

Reaction score
I Plan on beefing some steers in the near future.
Need a list of how many steaks, roast, hamburger, etc that you can expect out of a average steer.
I know some butchers supply a cut list on how you want your meat cut I can not find one.
I remember in some older post that some of you supplied that info in the past.
I can find many list of where the cuts come from I know this info, I am looking for actually how many steaks roast etc.
Your help would be much obliged.

Hi, Please go to our website and there is a list there that we have used for 6 years. It was developed for us by the University of GA. Meat lab. www.sellfarm.com

Billy

On the average with my steers I get around 50% ground, 10 to 15% roast and a maximum % of steaks at 35% if you have the Chuck/blade roast cut as chuck steaks, include round steaks, and having the sirloin tip cut as steaks as oppossed to roast. However, the prime steaks such as rib, T-Bone, Porter, and sirloin is a little over 20% of the carcass yield. The 10-15% roast yield come from English, round bone, and rump roast and sirloin tip roast. The yield on one of my normal sized steers ends up to be around 400 pounds cut weight which on my corn fed steers is around 35% of live weight, heifers yield around 26%.

That's good stuff do you have any that will tell me how many steaks etc I should get out of a average beef.
Great website too.
Thanks

ROCK-N-W":2y89l467 said:
That's good stuff do you have any that will tell me how many steaks etc I should get out of a average beef.
Great website too.
Thanks
There is not a standard number of steaks and roasts that a person will get out of a carcass. You could get as many or as few as you want.

ROCK-N-W":3bf6eisz said:
Great website too.
Thanks

Go to my website (www.sellfarm.com) and look in Angus beef and you then look under what cuts do I get? There is a list. Each pack has two steaks and multiply two times number of packs. For things like hamburger, cubed steak, stew meat the packages are approximately 1 lb packs.

This list was developed for us by the Univ. of GA Meat Lab based on typical carcasses from steers weighing 1150 lb. Our own experience with this list over the past five years has been very consistent with the list.

Hope this helps.

Billy

Go to my website (http://www.sellfarm.com) and look in Angus beef and you then look under what cuts do I get? There is a list. Each pack has two steaks and multiply two times number of packs. For things like hamburger, cubed steak, stew meat the packages are approximately 1 lb packs.

This list was developed for us by the Univ. of GA Meat Lab based on typical carcasses from steers weighing 1150 lb. Our own experience with this list over the past five years has been very consistent with the list.

Hope this helps.

Billy

Thanks I found it. It helps when ya know where to look. That's some good stuff.
My beef is 14 mths old this month Red Angus cow & Black Angus Bull. He has been on green grass/hay only with occasional feed and plenty of minerals.
I plan on crash feeding for another two 1/2 months then butchering. Care to share some hints of your feed blend?
I've got a feed out plan, But it sure won't hurt to add too it.
I just pulled five more beefs for next year. Two are off of My Black Angus bulls and cows and two are Smokies from my Char bull on Angus cows and one is a Charbrey. Basically the best rounded ones outa a group of twenty five.
Just out of curiosity how much do you think the liquid feed Molasses 24% + 5 % fat will effect the taste of the meat? He's had that also for the winter months. The only thing I have beefed in the past has been a injured, crippled or something thats been hit by a car etc, which we usually turned all into hamburger and cube steak, and the butcher did not hang long enough so the meat was not the best. I want to get this one right.
Thanks again RocknW

ROCK-N-W":1eur4rsf said:
Go to my website (http://www.sellfarm.com) and look in Angus beef and you then look under what cuts do I get? There is a list. Each pack has two steaks and multiply two times number of packs. For things like hamburger, cubed steak, stew meat the packages are approximately 1 lb packs.

Hope this helps.

Billy

Thanks I found it. It helps when ya know where to look. That's some good stuff.
My beef is 14 mths old this month Red Angus cow & Black Angus Bull. He has been on green grass/hay only with occasional feed and plenty of minerals.
I plan on crash feeding for another two 1/2 months then butchering. Care to share some hints of your feed blend?
I've got a feed out plan, But it sure won't hurt to add too it.
I just pulled five more beefs for next year. Two are off of My Black Angus bulls and cows and two are Smokies from my Char bull on Angus cows and one is a Charbrey. Basically the best rounded ones outa a group of twenty five.
Just out of curiosity how much do you think the liquid feed Molasses 24% + 5 % fat will effect the taste of the meat? He's had that also for the winter months. The only thing I have beefed in the past has been a injured, crippled or something thats been hit by a car etc, which we usually turned all into hamburger and cube steak, and the butcher did not hang long enough so the meat was not the best. I want to get this one right.
Thanks again RocknW

This formula, minus salt, is what the University of GA. uses in their bull test stations, or at least they did five or so years ago when we started. We took out the salt since we hand feed and use a special blend of our own chelated mineral.

this is for a three ton bulk delivery

soybean meal 715 lb
cottonseed hulls 1500 lb
corn crimpled 2565 lb
oats 1,000 lb
calcium carbonate 93 lb

fastrack 15 lb ( probios)
vit E pack 20,000 U 9. lb
ADE/Sel Plex 9 lb
Molasses 96 lb

including delivery of 42 miles and pelleting this runs about 18.3 cents per pound - way up in the past year.

We feed for around 6 months, slowing strarting and winding up at 2.5 to 3 % of body wt. Animals are weighed monthly and feed adjusted accordingly.

Our results are great, and we are afraid to mess with the formula, so we pay the price and pass it on to our customers.

Billy

This formula, minus salt, is what the University of GA. uses in their bull test stations, or at least they did five or so years ago when we started. We took out the salt since we hand feed and use a special blend of our own chelated mineral.

That formula is very close to the Bull feed that I use, so least I know I'm on the right track.
It does still have the salt also some wheat middlings and citrus pulp which being in Florida is very popular feed and the cows love it.
Since I don't have any storage facility I buy by the ton in plastic bags.
When I buy four or five tons I usually pay 225.00 a ton.
Thanks for all the great information I'll let you know how my beef turns out.
I plan on asking the butcher to let me cut out the ribeye and take a picture.
I can only hope it turns out half as good as the ones on your website.

ROCK-N-W":v9sxrwt1 said:

That formula is very close to the Bull feed that I use, so least I know I'm on the right track.
It does still have the salt also some wheat middlings and citrus pulp which being in Florida is very popular feed and the cows love it.
Since I don't have any storage facility I buy by the ton in plastic bags.
When I buy four or five tons I usually pay 225.00 a ton.
Thanks for all the great information I'll let you know how my beef turns out.
I plan on asking the butcher to let me cut out the ribeye and take a picture.
I can only hope it turns out half as good as the ones on your website.

He should let you come by. Need maybe a white coat (they probably can supply) and a hat. We go to all cuttings not only to take pics but to measure the ribeye size using a USDA grid made just for that purpose.

Good luck.

Billy

He should let you come by. Need maybe a white coat (they probably can supply) and a hat. We go to all cuttings not only to take pics but to measure the ribeye size using a USDA grid made just for that purpose.

I figure the only way I will ever know the quality of my stock is to start trying it for myself and if I make some extra income more the better. By the way One of my Bulls came form Georgia.
Thanks again

ROCK-N-W":15lc5lo7 said:

I figure the only way I will ever know the quality of my stock is to start trying it for myself and if I make some extra income more the better. By the way One of my Bulls came form Georgia.
Thanks again

Would that be a Harvey Lemmon or John Jarrel Angus bull?

Billy

Would that be a Harvey Lemmon or John Jarrel Angus bull?

The name of the folks I got my Bull from in Georgia is Double C Farms.
Curtess & Carrol Kicklighter
I like the way they do business. He told me if I didn't like the Bull I got from him no problem it still belongs to me.
We'll needless to say he ain't getting it back.
I bought a 18 month old Reg Char.
He's got the calving ease for these Angus of mine and the fast growth and weening weight that I have been trying to get to for the last six years.
These Smokies are fine looking calfs. His first calfs started dropping in March I'm sure they will all ween at five hundred lbs +.
Now to see what future ribeye I get out of them.

Latest posts