Carcass epd's?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
How much do you let carcass epd's play in your decision on picking bulls? Right now our calves go to the salebarn but might change in the future as I know someone that we may be able to go thru to ratain ownership. Out last bull had pretty good carcass number, esp. RE, and I really like his calves.

There are so many good bulls out there to select from, that I don't know why you would select a bull that wasn't in the top 40% of his breed for marbling and ribeye area. I am not sold on the backfat EPD as I think selecting hard for leanness is going to hurt the stayability and longevity of that bull's daughters. You want easy fleshing mama cows; although you would like Yield Grade One market steers. Some breeds have carcass weight epds and I would shy away from trait leaders there if I am keeping back heifers since I think a high carcass weight EPD is probably indicative of a high mature weight cow which I would rather not be breeding for. Now if you are buying a purely terminal sire (all calves go to the slaughter market) the only thing more important than the carcass epds would be the growth traits. In a terminal scenario you probably want a bull in the top 20-25% of his breed for weaning weight, yearling weight, marbling (IMF), REA, backfat, AND carcass weight if you can find him. I think eventually we will move towards a maternal line where heavy emphasis is placed on longevity, stayability, fertility, etc and a terminal sire line where heavy emphasis is placed on muscling, marbling, growth, tenderness, cutability, etc but we are still trying to find a way to quantify all of those traits.

Just remember carcass epd's are completely up in the air until there is significant accuracy under them. There aren't many bulls in many of the studs that have a significant acc., by significant, I mean .65 or higher.

I am a firm believer in testing one's stock though, by all means, send some out and see how they do.

I am preparing my fouth group to go out tomorrow. It's nice to get a check with some data instead of sending a check to get ultrasound data, and it's hard to argue with the numbers that come off the rail.

Sizmic

Latest posts