Carcass, DNA, Ultrasound - better?

Help Support CattleToday:

vclavin

Reaction score
I am beginning to think that carcass data is not really any better than ultrasound. Why? Both can be controlled by environment. As they say, you can't make an animal perform if he/she doesn't have the genetics for it.
Therefor, maybe DNA is our starting point to let us know "How" to aid an animal in reaching it's true potential.

Your thoughts?

Blessings
Valerie Clavin

Carcass data is good in that it may also show that an animal will have potential. If it is not good carcass data then it may be because of the environment. The same goes for ultrsound. DNA data does not care about the environment. There is still one drawback on the DNA. The technology is still in its birth stages. Although they have learnd a lot they are still at the tip of the iceburg. I think I read there are about a billon DNA what evers to look at.

novatech":2lb2aapz said:
Carcass data is good in that it may also show that an animal will have potential. If it is not good carcass data then it may be because of the environment. The same goes for ultrsound. DNA data does not care about the environment. There is still one drawback on the DNA. The technology is still in its birth stages. Although they have learnd a lot they are still at the tip of the iceburg. I think I read there are about a billon DNA what evers to look at.
Even with the DNA to perform, management plays a huge part on if they will develop to their potential

Do you gentlemen feel then that maybe using DNA, Carcass, and Ultrasound together to make EPD's more accurate is a good option?
I do realize not all things are accurate in any of the 3 types of data collection, could it be that together they give a better idea of an animals potential?
Thanks for your opinions
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

vclavin":3f73udak said:
Do you gentlemen feel then that maybe using DNA, Carcass, and Ultrasound together to make EPD's more accurate is a good option?
I do realize not all things are accurate in any of the 3 types of data collection, could it be that together they give a better idea of an animals potential?
Thanks for your opinions
Blessings
Valerie Clavin
Yes

Even with the DNA to perform, management plays a huge part on if they will develop to their potential

==========
Dun,
Exactly What I'm getting at. I believe all 4 aspects of data collection will have to be used together. Ultrasound and carcass will tell us if our management has successfully reached the animals full potential. EPD's will tell us whether or not he is capable of passing on those traits.
Thanks
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

vclavin":14m9eosx said:
http://www.cabpartners.com/news/research/index.php

Some really good reading. Especially about what effects Marbling.

Blessings
Valerie CLavin

Are you related to Frankie? :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Jovid":218zpnyx said:
vclavin":218zpnyx said:
http://www.cabpartners.com/news/research/index.php

Some really good reading. Especially about what effects Marbling.

Blessings
Valerie CLavin

Are you related to Frankie? :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Jovid,
Not that I know of, Frankie doesn't like me too much. Hmmmm
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

what individuals marble no matter what you do to them. that would be a good teaching set.

You do know that heritability or DNA as you put it, :) as a percentage of performance, is a very small amount compared to environment and management right?

KMacGinley":avjzj2ln said:
You do know that heritability or DNA as you put it, :) as a percentage of performance, is a very small amount compared to environment and management right?
Better explain better. I know marbling for Angus is 65% inherited. Fertility 10%. Depends on which part of their DNA you are talking about.

Since you must have the DNA, in order for environment or management to either, make the specific DNA "expressed to the fullest" or "drop out of site" , then I'm not really sure one is more than the other.

Blessings
Valerie Clavin

vclavin":rzr19y3h said:
knabe":rzr19y3h said:
what individuals marble no matter what you do to them. that would be a good teaching set.
Please explain statement? You lost me on this one.
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

we know that early (pre-weaning) management can negatively impact marbling deposition later in life, if we find individuals that retain the ability to marble no matter how we try to screw them up now that would be some useful information.

The AAA have already determined that U/S ranks below actual carcass data, the jury is out on DNA, there's a huge amount we don't know, but the little we think we do is getting a ton of milage in the latest, greatest race.