Carcass comparison

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Does anyone know of recent results from direct comparisons of Angus, Hereford and maybe Shorthorn carcass qualities? REA, marbeling, backfat and yield grade? Maybe the same for a comparison of Gelbvieh and Simmenthal?
There are some pretty high (by the breeds standard) marbeling EPDs for Herefords. What I', curious about is how do those breed average, more or less, carcass' compare.

Thanks

dun

You might research some articles from Texas A&M websites. I have found
some breed comparisons to size and marbeling. I don't know how
current the article was. I remember Angus and Shorts were rated high
with Herfords at med.

dun":2twt9661 said:
Does anyone know of recent results from direct comparisons of Angus, Hereford and maybe Shorthorn carcass qualities? REA, marbeling, backfat and yield grade? Maybe the same for a comparison of Gelbvieh and Simmenthal?
There are some pretty high (by the breeds standard) marbeling EPDs for Herefords. What I', curious about is how do those breed average, more or less, carcass' compare.

Thanks

dun

I don't know of any, Dun. The Brangus people used to have an ad comparing an individual group of Brangus carcasses with an individual group of Angus. Other individual breeds may have similar info. But I'd take those with a grain of salt. I could pick out several Angus bulls that wouldn't give me a good carcass, so I imagine another breed association could do the same thing. But as far as an accross the board comparison, I'm not aware of any. As you probably know, there's a lot of variety in Angus bulls, probably more than most breeds.

BTW, are you still using Gelbvieh?

We're down to just one F1 Red Angus X Gelbvieh. Now it's pretty much Straight bred Red Angus and F1 Red Angus and Polled Hereford. Even with moderate framed starting stock with Gelbviehs we ended up with too much frame creep for my taste. I almost wonder if it doesn't have to do with the heterosis of the cross. Our F1 Red Angus Polled Herefords and the other way too are all bigger then either parent. They tend to run closer to 1100-1200 and FS 6-6.5 even from 5-5.5 1000 lb parent stock.

dun

Frankie":3jnsnhhk said:
dun":3jnsnhhk said:

Thanks

dun

I don't know of any, Dun. The Brangus people used to have an ad comparing an individual group of Brangus carcasses with an individual group of Angus. Other individual breeds may have similar info. But I'd take those with a grain of salt. I could pick out several Angus bulls that wouldn't give me a good carcass, so I imagine another breed association could do the same thing. But as far as an accross the board comparison, I'm not aware of any. As you probably know, there's a lot of variety in Angus bulls, probably more than most breeds.

BTW, are you still using Gelbvieh?

Latest posts