Car wreck..totalled question ...insurance?

Help Support CattleToday:

saltbranch

Reaction score
My oldest son (18 yrs old) was ran off the road and I am pretty sure the car will be totalled. Thank the good Lord he is sore but safe and sound. His car was 05' Chrysler Crossfire Roadster with 55k miles on it. I have full coverage thankfully, since the jerk left the seen and cant be found. Car hit some big curbs, frame is bent I think, doors wont open, passenger front tire pushed into floorboard, air bags deployed etc. Progressive will be picking car up tomorrow to take to their designated place.
Our insurance is Progressive. What should I expect? This car was clean, like show room clean. We just did a drive in show in San Antonio.

I've had progressive for years and no complaints with their response to a totaled vehicle and a couple of fender benders

saltbranch":2dxinakh said:
My oldest son (18 yrs old) was ran off the road and I am pretty sure the car will be totalled. Thank the good Lord he is sore but safe and sound. His car was 05' Chrysler Crossfire Roadster with 55k miles on it. I have full coverage thankfully, since the jerk left the seen and cant be found. Car hit some big curbs, frame is bent I think, doors wont open, passenger front tire pushed into floorboard, air bags deployed etc. Progressive will be picking car up tomorrow to take to their designated place.
Our insurance is Progressive. What should I expect? This car was clean, like show room clean. We just did a drive in show in San Antonio.

glad he is ok but... now is the time when you find out if you chose the right insurance company. What to expect your insurance to sky rocket into outer space because they will assume your son was hot rodding around. Expect lots of bs in your life in days to come. I also expect you to come here and complain about the bs you are getting dealt. I hate bs with insurance companies.

Most likely they subscribe to a service that tracks comparable actual car sales and will ask them for a report. Will try to use sales for your geographic area as much as possible. Can make some adjustments for differences in mileage/equipment/condition. If yours is extra clean, it may be hard to get enough upward adjustment.

Thing you have to be aware of is the adjuster normally wants to make you as happy as reasonably possible. That being said, everything they do will be scrutinized by bosses/auditors/etc who are mostly looking out for the company. They must have documented justification for what they pay on a claim.

Glad your son is OK. Hope everything works to your satisfaction.

If the cops did a report get it and it see if they wrote your son at fault can help keep you rates from going through the roof. My wife got ran off by an 18 wheeler he kept going her truck was totaled plus she was injured then our insurance at the time Allstate tried to list it as her fault and jack our rates up so I got the report from DPS and showed them not her fault but Allstate would budge went to Farm Bureau showed them the report and they wrote our policy with her not at fault saved like 50 bucks a month glad your kid is ok and good luck

The police did a report, he is not at fault. I dont plan to come back and complain about insurance rates raised. I have a pair of testicals and not afraid. Just asking for insight into a situation I have not been too. My wife and I are currently searching the web and printing cars of the same and sold for prices with in a 500 mile radius.

salt I was not insulting you but saying that you would come back and tell us of the situation claims are rarely anything good. I hope you did not take that as insulting to you.

skyhightree1":3ki2y55a said:
salt I was not insulting you but saying that you would come back and tell us of the situation claims are rarely anything good. I hope you did not take that as insulting to you.
No Sir, did not take it that way. I am fairly certain my insurance is going to go through the roof due
to this.

I am currently going through bs with my insurance company that is supposed to be the best in the world... USAA I got rear ended and they told me let them handle the repairs and claims they will make sure its right and other insurance company will pay.... WRONG WRONG WRONG they have actually made the situation worse.

First off glad every one is alive. Car doesn't have a frame...they can look tore up but rePaired pretty easy. Take it some place you trust or the "dealer" and make em go to work for ya!

We have Progressive. Wife has had 3 wrecks in 3 years-mostly minor--all her fault. Progressive paid off fully, fixed all vehicles involved to everyone's satisfaction tho nothing was totaled, no air bags deployed and no one injured.
I can't complain about Progressive.
Rates did go up considerably (and understandably) but they did not even threaten to drop us. We're pretty much paying Flo's salary now all by our self.
flotheprogressivegirl-04.jpg

saltbranch":3oj7umjy said:

Do you have pictures from the show you did? If you can show it was in better condition than the typical car its age, you may be able to goose the pay-out out a little. It also is pretty low mileage for its age, which should help. Can you show it was babied (only driven locally, or garaged winters, etc)?

One thing you should remember--VERY IMPORTANT----you say your son is sore but safe and sound, and I'm very glad for that. However, one of the things your insurance co. will likely ask you to do is to sign off on any medical claim. (They'll offer to pay you $X for your totalled car, but often buried in the fine print is a medical release). Keep in mind that soft tissue injuries, etc. can take awhile to manifest sometimes. (I still have intermittent back problems from being rear-ended almost 20 yrs ago, by a 16 yr old on a cell phone). Make sure you/your son know what you're signing. You/he may be comfortable waiving any medical claim, but if so, you should do it knowingly, and preferably after enough time has passed that he and his dr. are absolutely sure (well, as much as you can be) that he won't suffer adverse effects (whiplash, etc) further down the road. Once you've signed off on medical claims, if a delayed injury shows up, you're generally on your own, so please beware! They may likely push for an early resolution, and try to convince you they can't give you the $ for the car unless you sign off on the medical. My understanding is that you are entitled to settle those 2 issues separately, and it is sometimes better to do so (or at least wait to make 100% sure you don't have a medical claim).

Does the car have one of those boxes that gathers info on the speed etc at the time of accident, the person's driving habits, etc? Just something to keep in mind...

Best of luck, and glad your son is ok!

My dad is fighting with his insurance right now. He was hauling hay out to cows and was stopped to turn and someone rear ended him going about 60. The lady was killed. My ended up having to have surgery on his shoulder. Turns out the lady didn't have insurance so had to claim it on his uninsured motorist. His lawyer and the insurance company have been going at it for a year.

I guess we've been lucky with our auto insurance. My wife got T-boned and the car was totalled, jerk didn;t have any insurance so our insurance company paid. 2 years ago a deer jumped off of a bank and ended up on the hood of the car, 10 k to fix it. I hydroplaned and ran into the back of a new chevy truck, I got a ticket for unsafe for conditions, The other driver got one for no insurance, my truck only had liability so it didn;t cost my insurance anything, but it totaled the other guys truck, not sure if they had to pay for that or not. Insurance still hasn;t gone up. Maybe it has to do with having been with the same company for 25 years.

You do not have first accident forgiveness? I totalled a relatively new Expedition, they valued it more than I had left on it, and I got back about 2k. This was w/ Erie Insurance.

The person who hit me (I was in my powerchair) had Progressive.. They repaired the chair,paid all my medical bills and paid for rehab. I do not know what happened to the drivers insurance rates.

If the claim is filed as a not at fault accident you will not be charged for the accident. Progressive will pay you fair market value which still may not be what you want or think it is worth but should be a good real world indicator of the value. Progressive's claim service should also be very good. We get little to no complaints about their service.

I've represented Progressive for 10 years and have had 99% happy customers. There is always some that feel something isn't right for one reason or another, such is life. Good luck and glad your son is safe.

J&D Cattle":351uadv9 said:
If the claim is filed as a not at fault accident you will not be charged for the accident. Progressive will pay you fair market value which still may not be what you want or think it is worth but should be a good real world indicator of the value. Progressive's claim service should also be very good. We get little to no complaints about their service.

I've represented Progressive for 10 years and have had 99% happy customers. There is always some that feel something isn't right for one reason or another, such is life. Good luck and glad your son is safe.
When you were here you must have been disguised cause you looked nothing like Flo

dun":3072je7o said:
J&D Cattle":3072je7o said:

When you were here you must have been disguised cause you looked nothing like Flo

Haha, I did LOL on that one. :lol: