Caps for Wood Post

Help Support CattleToday:

Nowland Farms

Reaction score
You saw my other post about the new fence I just built.

I am thinking about putting some kind of cap on top of the pressure treated round post to keep the water out to help the post last longer.

Do any of you do this and if so, what do you use?

I have some aluminum flashing left over from an old project but was wondering what you use.

Easier is to just saw the top of the posts with an abgle so the rain and snow run off.

sometimes i put pvc caps on larger posts. aluminum would work as well or a pliable tin.

I saw a guy use the same paint used for trailer house roofs.
Seems like it would work. Or any other roofing mastic for that matter.

Neighbor cuts old scrap tin into small squares and nails a corner of square to side of post then repeats this to all four corners. Looks neat and store bought when he is finished. He is a no nonsense type of guy with about 1200 head of cattle so it must be worth the extra time or he wouldn't do it.

2 gallon ice cream buckets, old basketballs cut in half, old tractor tubes cut into squares, in addition to the other suggestions. I angle cut mine to the south and use roofing tar.

Paint it with Roofseal, wound seal used on big cuts when pruning fruit treas also work, but don't last as long.

Don't worry about it. If they rot, it will be at the soil line not at the top.

I agree with the last three posts. I have never seen a fence post fail from the portion that is above the ground. They always rot below ground level. Covering, treating etc a post at the top is a waste of time & money.

I made iron corners, but have seen peple use bottoms of used jugs: bleach, detergent, ect.. whatever fits your post, and tack on the sides with small nails.

I know a guy who has got pressure treated posts that have been in the ground for 25 or so years. He just sold some of the land and plans to pull them up and reuse them. Somewhere around 350 post.

He thinks they will go back in fine.

I quess we will see. I'll let you know.

Most treated lumber today comes with a lifetime warranty for rot or decay "above ground". Don't worry about the tops.

Latest posts