Can't wrap my head around this

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
3 secretaries in the office, one of their benefits is one paid personal day a month.
Because of being busy this arrangement is causing a hardship on operations.
Office Manager is proposing on a volunteer basis let them work on personal day and get paid personal day then get paid again for working.
Since they are paid 40 hours a week plus the 8 addditional for their personal day, would this then be overtime , and time an a half, resulting in an increase from $10 an hour to $25 an hour or would it be $20 an hour :compute: :? :dunce:

Ask your accountant. I'm sure the IRS has some obscure rule that covers it.

"work on personal day and get paid personal day then get paid again for working."

No workee..no payee.
Hire new people that want to work.

When I worked for the Electric Coop and worked on a holiday we got paid for the holiday then time and half for the hours we worked.

I would guess straight time for 48 hours.

Place I work used to pay time and a half for over 40 on the time card, but changed that to over 40 actually worked. No big deal, but if you take a Monday off and have to work the following Saturday it kind of sucks.

I work for a decently large corporation. If you take a day off, you get paid using PTO. If your butt is in a chair and you're clocked in you get paid for being there. You can't take both. Sounds like whoever is running this place you work at is getting hosed by these secretaries.

And at time and a half they would be getting $15/hour for OT. They've got a good scam going.

callmefence":2h2rx26u said:
No cashing in vacation or sick days should not count as overtime. As long as they are not on the clock over 40

I've been banking my personal days.....Thinking about cashing them in and killing pigs in central TX for a week or two this winter.

Farm Fence Solutions":menqnbid said:
callmefence":menqnbid said:
No cashing in vacation or sick days should not count as overtime. As long as they are not on the clock over 40

I've been banking my personal days.....Thinking about cashing them in and killing pigs in central TX for a week or two this winter.

Your certainly welcome to come.
But good luck. I hear your boss is pretty tough.

cowboy43":2kf864ei said:
3 secretaries in the office, one of their benefits is one paid personal day a month.
Because of being busy this arrangement is causing a hardship on operations.
Office Manager is proposing on a volunteer basis let them work on personal day and get paid personal day then get paid again for working.
Since they are paid 40 hours a week plus the 8 addditional for their personal day, would this then be overtime , and time an a half, resulting in an increase from $10 an hour to $25 an hour or would it be $20 an hour :compute: :? :dunce:

The answer is YES. Most all companies will say "personal days or vacation days" are not OT but mathematically it will result in OT time being paid because it will bump actual hours worked in to OT.

I'm big on perks like this BUT when it's busy I expect every one to roll up their sleeves and get the job done. Perks are like bonuses... They are icing on the cake... not some thing to be demanded.

I would bring that nonsense to a screeching halt. I would explain it nicely one time that those days are a perk when business allows it but are in no way guaranteed. I would ask nicely for every one to be a team player and help us thru this busy time and let them know they will be rewarded on the back side.

After that... any one who bawked I would bounce their happy ass so fast it made their head spin. I have zero tolerance for people who aren't team players.

I wouldn't count paid time off as "hours", I'd call it a bonus..
If you get your paid day off, you get 8 hours pay for that, but not 8 worked hours... If you come in on that day, you get paid the same as if it wasn't your PTO.

I'm sure the laws change from state to state.. Around here it changes with every change of gov't as well.

The pto hours do not count as overtime.
I do the payroll where I work and try to stay up on laws. Unless it's a state law it definitely isn't federal.

Latest posts