Can't make money on cows

Help Support CattleToday:

grubbie

Reaction score
Some folks are always talkin about how you can't make a profit in cows anymore. I think they have forgotten that the back end profit comes from what we do in the front end of the operation. I have $4000.00 into my 2 herd sires, that throw beautiful calves, some folks around here pay more than that for one. I have a neighbor who brags about his $8000.00 bull,...guess what, my calves sold for the same money as his. Then he tells me "you can't make money on cows anymore". He has a new green tractor, a newer skid steer loader, two dually pickups, new stock trailer, high dollar winnebago-lookin horse trailer. I bet I spent a quarter of the amount for all of my equipment than he did for that green tractor. I would like to have nice shiny stuff too, but for now, I would rather make a profit on my cows. Anyway,...just a rant.

tom4018":3t1zfyom said:
easiest dollar made was one saved.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

I'd love to have all brand new shiny stuff, but my old still-working stuff gets the job done just as well......most of the time. ;-)

Katherine

This is a nice common sense thread. My stock trailer cost me $400 and I've hauled about 30 head of beef cattle with it so far. Paid $400 for my square baler and it will bale 1,000 bales without breaking a single one. I have 2 old AC D17's that do most of the hay work, and an IH 766 to bale and move the round bales. An older neighbor told me one day that he had been to a hay sale and that hay from an old baler was selling for the same price as hay from a new baler. Anyway, I love raising cattle more than buying equipment.

A few rules I try to go by.

Everyone has used equipment.

A pressure washer and some paint can make anything look good.

A cow will eat all the feed you can afford to buy.

New stuff breaks.

Don't care what the papers say its name is - its still only a cow to me.

got to agree. I think the most we have paid on a bull is 2500 but like the 1800 ones better. Find that the guys who charge more, feed more and the bulls just loose the weight on pasture.
Most of our equipment came on Noah's boat and we do what we can with what we have. A few things we did change though. Our baler has seen better days, paid 1000 for it and it probably baled alot by the time we got it. I mean they do not make any HN850 balers anymore.
Our truck is a '92 dodge ram and our car a '98 Rav which we bought from my father moving to Austraila after i totalled our only truck.
the only thing we do not scrimp on is herd health and nutrition. Anything else is fair game
Sometimes it's hard to see the neighbors driving back and forth on tractors that are shiny and can do more, but they need mroe cows to cover the costs.

Yall are makin' me feel pretty high-falootin' with my new (to me) 1998 model truck. Only has 443k on it...

Actually you can make some money on cows...just not a lot!
If your costs are too high consider ways to reduce those costs? Sometimes "not" owning machinery can be your best cost saving? Does it really make sense to own a full line of haying equipment to put up 100 acres of hay? Would it make more sense to buy hay and use your own grass to extend your grazing season or run some extra cows?
A $4000 bull, used for three years(say 25 cows a year), gives you 75 calves. You sell him for $1200 so his net cost is $3200 or $42.66/calf? A $2000 bull has a net cost of $800 or $10.66/calf? Now these figures don't consider in feed or interest on your purchase cost...but you get the drift?
Did your calves from the expensive bull make $32 more per calf than the cheaper bull? Maybe...maybe not.
Consider this: AI your ten top cows to a proven AI sire. Keep two bull calves. Use them a couple of years and repeat the process. You will actually be getting the use of a bull for basically nothing? And on top of that he will not be overfat, need his feet trimmed ever year, will not come from some pampered purebred cow who might be a real dog in many traits, and if you don't like him you don't lose anything by getting rid of him!
The idea that a registered bull from some fancy outfit is better than a well planned home raised bull is simply nonsense. The purebred boys need to make the big bucks to pay for all drivel that goes with the "purebred game" but that doesn't mean you need to pay for it!
Consider the hog business? How many "purebred" hogs are there? Really none in a commercial setting...they use composites...and have taken hog efficiency to heights we in the cattle business can only dream of!

MY STUFF IS SO OLD THEY DON'T MAKE PARTS FOR IT ANYMORE.... :lol: SERIOUSLY, NEW STUFF IS NICE BUT IF YA WANT TO MAKE MONEY, YA SOMETIMES HAVE TO SETTLE FOR WHAT YA GOT FOR NOW. THE NEW WILL COME IN TIME.

alot of people run a bare bones operation.an alot of people love to have all the shiney new tractors an equipment.an thats ok to.i dont any equipment new or used unless its really needed.

cfpinz":3hrwg407 said:
Yall are makin' me feel pretty high-falootin' with my new (to me) 1998 model truck. Only has 443k on it...

Yeah, I've seen your truck and am quite jealous. Least I am anyhow. If you won't to feel better about yourself I will be glad to swap you a pure clunker for your "new truck". :nod: BTW - did you really find a hundred dollar bill and a rolex watch under a cow turd? ;-) :lol:

Jogeephus":1494xuf7 said:
cfpinz":1494xuf7 said:

Yeah, I've seen your truck and am quite jealous. Least I am anyhow. If you won't to feel better about yourself I will be glad to swap you a pure clunker for your "new truck". :nod: BTW - did you really find a hundred dollar bill and a rolex watch under a cow turd? ;-) :lol:

That was an Exlax watch and the 100 had clintons picture on it

Jogeephus":2flouiz1 said:
cfpinz":2flouiz1 said:

The old clunker is mighty tempting, but I can't get rid of the new truck. Learning to drive that thing is the most fun I've had with my pants on.

dun":3cok1cgl said:

No matter when you look at the watch, it's always time to go! And nothing beats a Slick Willy IOU.

cfpinz":2wz48y79 said:
dun":2wz48y79 said:

No matter when you look at the watch, it's always time to go! And nothing beats a Slick Willy IOU.

10-4 on the Slick Willy. I am praying a few folks win the lotto so I can finally give them IOU's back. :D :D

This is one thing a learned early on, Don't worry about what others are doing or what they have! Everyones situtation is different. Everyone came about their money or the lack of it differently.
Here is a couple things I try to follow:
Shall not covet thy neighbors goods. ( I think it is #10)
"Every single penny I am paid, I got it honest." Aaron Tippin

I think the ones who need to keep up with the "Jones" are the ones you'll see going under big time next year.

Its just another reason why I thank the good Lord for my hubby. Neither one of us are interested in the latest frills and I am not marching to the beat of the Jones's .......

Back in the 1980's, I loved going to horseshows.......... every weekend. Had an old 3/4 ton van and a bumper pull 2 horse trailer that was probably 20 y/o.......... had a fella come up to me one time and say, "You see these ton dually's and these slant horse trailers, these folks have $40-50,000 dollars in these rigs and here you pull up and you take home the ribbons"...... I just laughed and told him, "well just goes to show its not what the outside looks like, but its what is inside the trailer that is most important."