Can't make money on cows

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching":30n13fek said:
We ought to have a CT contest on who has the junkiest machinery. :nod:

Yall can just forget that one.....I would win that hands down without really trying; but if I have to get everything running it will take two (or four) weeks and about $750 in parts.

cfpinz":1a5dq0pl said:
mnmtranching":1a5dq0pl said:
We ought to have a CT contest on who has the junkiest machinery. :nod:

I've got 5 bucks on myself!

No takers here.

Most of my home made "junk" works better than brand new store bought.

Of course, you occasionally put something together that doesn't work. It gets cut up and built into something else.

Junk is in the eye of the beholder. If it gets the job done in a timely manner, then it doesn't qualify as junk. My son is still using some of the equipment I used as a kid, and I will be 65 in July. Yes, we spend some time working on it, but our labor is cheaper by far than just the interest on new equipment. Ron

I agree with you all. My money is made in two areas, keeping calves alive, and keeping cost low. For example I have an old tractor, haybine, and rake. But when it comes to baling, I can not make enough bales to buy the tractor and round baler.

I paid $400 for a good headgate, but made the chute and alley ways from auction gates.

I will AI my top few cows once, (ok, twice with a few) then the bull ($1200) gets to have his way.

I always ask, How long is the payback on "X", and after the payback, what is the true net profit. After reviewing those two thoughts, I will once again not buy something.

Neighbor, a great guy, just took delivery of a sexy green tractor. After having it for 4 months, he is back to running his 4020, with the new one losing (X?)% per month.

To be fair, I do buy mineral and vaccs new in the interest of full disclosure.

Latest posts